1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is this something I should tell my therapist?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by littlefox, Dec 15, 2015.

1. littlefox

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I really need advice. Or at least a few opinions. I'm at a loss about what to do. I feel so alone and I have no one in my life I can go to for any of this. I grew up in a Christian home and environment, my family goes to church and I've been homeschooled all of my life. I literally have no one I can turn too. So I've been trying to find support through the Internet, through encouraging videos, forums, and chat rooms, and it has helped. But now I feel like I can't take it anymore. I thought that I would be fine until I was old enough to move out, get a job, and support myself, and then I would have my freedom and I could be myself and get out there. Before I was confused about my sexuality, and I was afraid and ashamed of it. But now I'm starting to accept myself, and recently so many things have finally made sense that didn't before. But things have gotten worse for me, I've been depressed, and I've been sleeping all the time. I can't even go to church now, I get so uncomfortable and nervous. I've been skipping church, and my family and therapist thinks that it is because of my anxiety and panic attacks. I don't want to talk to anyone, not even my parents or siblings, because I feel like I'm lying to their faces and I get paranoid all the time about someone finding out somehow. Sometimes that triggers my panic attacks, and I don't know what to do. I've even started having ones when I'm like by myself in my bedroom or something, and I've been staying in my room constantly and if I don't keep myself distracted with anime or video games or something I'll end up crying for a while or I might get a mini panic attack. Especially at night. I've been staying up late at night, trying to find resources to help me get through this. I've thought about telling my therapist about this, but I don't know if I should. She's supposed to be a Christian therapist, in fact she goes to my church. She's very nice and very sweet, but I don't know how she would react if I told her that I'm questioning my sexuality. I don't know if she would tell my parents, scold me, or try to fix me or something. I've tested the waters a little bit, and I told her that a friend came out to me to see what her reaction would be. She didn't bash my friend or anything, but I still don't know. And it might be different if it were me we were talking about. I don't know what I should do. I've thought about running away, or maybe telling her and if she started trying to fix me, or if she told my parents, I would run away. Otherwise I might leave a note behind, at least explaining that I ran away, if not why, so that way no one would think I was kidnapped or something. I've been researching it on the Internet, places I could go, things to have with you, other little tips and stuff. I even have somewhat of a plan, if I ever did run away. I know that it would probably be a stupid thing to do, run away, and I don't think I would ever do it unless I absolutely thought it was the only thing I could do, and if my parents disowned me for this, I don't think I could live in the same house with them for another two or more years. I just couldn't handle it. I know that they would react badly because a family member on my uncle's side said she was gay, and my entire family doesn't support it. My aunt and uncle don't even take the kids to visit her anymore because they dont want the kids to be around that. Imagine if I came out? I've even thought about suicide, taking some pills, but I don't think I would ever do that. I'm too scared to die, and I want to live my life and stuff. I'm sorry that this turned more into a rant rather than a simple question, but it felt good to get some of this out and maybe having a little more information will help me get some better advice or opinions. I think that's about all I have to say, so..

#1 littlefox, Dec 15, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2015
  2. Open Arms

Open Arms Guest

Oh my, I am so sad for you and how you are stuck and being suffocated emotionally and spiritually in your own home and church which should be places of refuge. :frowning2:

Is this a registered therapist you are seeing, a counsellor employed by the church or an independent counsellor? If employed by a conservative church, I would be leery. If not, I would confide in her if I were you.

If she's any kind of therapist worth her salt, she has picked up that you might be describing yourself and not your friend simply because of all the depression and anxiety you are going through. To be honest, I don't think she'll be surprised if you tell her the truth.

She might be the one person who can help you endure until you are out of there.

Confidentiality is a must if she's a therapist or even a counsellor. There's no way she should be outing you to anyone. If she does and is licensed, she could get her licence revoked or at least a severe warning.

You could also google New Directions of Canada LGBT Spacious Places and ask advice of their counsellors because they deal with this kind of thing. They are Christian but also very LGBT supportive, and they will not try to change you. They try to talk sense into conservative parents of LGBT youth because God knows, they need it.

There is also Gay Christian Network online. They are great! I know and trust Justin Lee. He will not steer you wrong.

The EC Community will also support you.

God loves you just as you are little fox. Don't despair and don't run away until you are older.