1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Self-conscious about race

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by littleraven, Dec 16, 2015.

1. littleraven

I don't always admit it, but I'm really self-conscious about being black. I don't really know what to do about that though. :tears:

2. Steve FS

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Is there a certain reason why you're feeling self-conscious? Is it because you're surrounded by people who aren't your race? Is it a feeling of inadequacy?

I know how you're feeling, though. A lot of my time is spent on the fact that I hate being Asian, but the best thing you can do is focus on what you can do to make yourself better. We both have to learn now to dwell on things we can't change. :slight_smile:

3. littleraven

I'm not exactly sure why. Though it could be a combination of factors. How African Americans are sometimes portrayed or seen could be a reason. Sometimes I do feel inadequate. I don't know exactly. I've probably had this feeling a long time.

#3 littleraven, Dec 16, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2015
  4. YinYang

Who cares if you're black? It's just like being gay; it's not something you can change and it doesn't define you. You are you, regardless of skin color. Don't let anyone else tell you anything different.

5. littleraven

Thanks. That's true. I don't know why I have trouble accepting it though.

6. Steve FS

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    It's hard to live as a minority in anywhere we live. We want to become like everyone else, but we can't. We have to wmbrace who we are :slight_smile:

7. ZenMusic

I'm black too, and I used to feel exactly the same way you did. Please don't blame yourself for the way you feel, the media does a bang up job of misrepresenting black people day in day out and the unfortunate thing is some people actually believe it. Whenever I have these feelings, I think about how far we've come as a race and how much we've achieved, everything from the Atlantic Slave Trade to present day America. There isn't a damn thing in this world that could make me ashamed of my melanin, and please don't let the media or anyone let you feel like you need to be ashamed of having dark skin. We're fighters, and I'm proud of that.

8. littleraven

Thank you. I really appreciate the reminder. (*hug*) I need to remember how far we've come.

9. Invidia

Invidia Guest

Far above the clouds, gazing deep below the Earth
    Well said, Zen!

The idea of white supremacy is still woven tightly into the fabric of society. The [able-bodied, cis, heterosexual, non-poor, politically mainstream] white [man] is still society's norm. When one doesn't fit that norm that's bound to get to you, no matter how strong-willed you are or anything like that.

I feel the same way about being trans, and many other things. We just have to try to look past it. And the more we say "I'm alright" to ourselves, the more we say it to society, and the more we say "I'm alright" to society, the more we say it to ourselves. :slight_smile:

You're perfect just the way you are. (*hug*)

10. littleraven

I really appreciate the encouraging replies. Thank you. :slight_smile: (*hug*)

11. Awesome

In college in Massachusetts, from Pennsylvania
    Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Black, don't you mean sunburn-proof? Or never pasty? Or not blending in with everyone else in the general crowd?

I like to think about the good things about being black that white people must be jealous of. At summer camp, when everyone compares their arms to see whose is the tannest, I put my arm in and say "I win!"

12. Commenza

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    People with black/dark skin color are so much prettier than white people!!! :slight_smile: (Coming from a white person who somehow always manages to develop crushes on black people :grin:)

13. littleraven

lol I do the same thing actually.