1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I've never tried alcohol before. Should I?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by VolpeSolitario, Dec 21, 2015.

1. VolpeSolitario

Hi. I've never drank alcohol before. I'm over the age limit and I was just wondering if I should try it. I was with my friends at a bar, and all of them were drinking alcohol. I felt kinda left out, like I was missing out on something fun. The guy I like drinks alcohol, and it makes me feel like I should try it to see if I like it too.

I've been thinking about this a lot lately. Maybe I just want to fit in. I feel a little inferior and like a little kid. I worry though because I'm lonely and have a crush on a guy, and if I had a drink around him I might do something I end up regretting. I'm extremely shy and lacking confidence, so maybe drinking would help me become more confident. I'm really unsure about what to do. I feel like drinking would take away all my innocence :frowning2:

Sorry for rambling. Any help is greatly appreciated!

2. iamdesperate

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I may get a lot of negative reactions since I am below the age limit, way below for americans, but I know that if you decide to drink, you have to do it because you want it. I can say it is a lot of fun when you drink alcohol, you just become more relaxed and confident, as a closeted gay guy I act super gay when I drink a lot. Having on or two drinks won't make you do something you regret, you might end up a little more relaxed, since it will be the first time you drink, but you should be fine. You just have to ask yourself, "do I want to drink because I want something new in my life and want to try it out, or am I drinking it to not seem like a little kid to my crush and friends?".

Personally, I don2t understand why you havent drunk any alcohol until that age.

3. foxer

Well that's just, plain dump :bang: The limits are there for a reason. One could have some personal reasons aswell.

First of all.
    I wouldn't recommend doing something just to fit in. Atleast nothing stupid.
    And if you end up drinking don't over do it. The most I have drank in one day is two cans (33cl) of cider.

I'd recommend trying it in some more controlled environment at first. With just one friend etc. So you can keep things under control, or just bash in with your friends. Whatever rocks your boat.

I don't "drink" and my friends really couldn't care less about it. If you want to fit in there are always some alcohol free options so you don't feel left out.

What comes to alcohol overall. (ethanol actually, < yes I'm boring at parties) :grin:
    Alcohol is a great way for some people to gather more social confidence if not overdone. But as people are different so are the results. Different people react differently to alcohol. (Or actually they don't, their body does) And then there are some results that show that it's also a great product to cause some mild placebo effect.

To wrap up.
    I don't drink, but it's not stopping you from drinking and it could help you gather up the courage to speak to your crush but do not over do it.

Why I don't like to drink? I don't like the taste of alcohol and smelling your own breath after though it's not smelling bad, just annoying

What ever you decide to do remember to
    have fun and enjoy yourself. < That's the important part, so no doing things you don't like / want to. :thumbsup:

4. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Here's the thing: Lots of people drink alcohol, although I was shocked to read that a (slight) majority of people over the legal age have not and do not drink. (I believe this was a US statistic.) And of the people who do drink occasionally and recreationally, most never suffer any negative consequences. Unfortunately,there are also an awful lot of people who have had serious, lifetime problems due to alcohol addiction. There are also significant health issues associated with alcohol... and before somebody starts quoting studies justifying drinking wine or whatever... all of those health benefits can be had from drinking nonalcoholic versions of the wines, or grape juices, or whatever. There's no health-related justification to drink alcohol, which is a poison.

Drinking to "fit in", or because the person you like does is one of the worst possible reasons to drink. Ask yourself if this were something else, say cocaine, heroin, MDMA... would the fact that "someone you like" does it encourage you to try it? I'd hope not.

The catch is... there's no way of knowing for certain if you are going to be one of the ones who is going to become an alcoholic until you start drinking. And by the same token, if you never, ever drink... you'll never have to worry about whether you're at risk. There are a variety of factors that impact addiction, and they impact each person slightly differently. But self-esteem issues, drinking to "fit in", drinking to deal with difficult emotions.... those are all huge warning signs and put you at risk for addiction. So is having family members with a history of addiction or addictive behaviors (whether to alcohol or something else.)

For my money, I simply don't drink. Not because I can't, or because I'd become an alcoholic if I did, but simply because... I see no purpose, no benefit. I can relax and enjoy myself without drinking, I don't like the feeling I get when I have consumed alcohol, and for me, the best decision is simply not to.

5. foxer

This ^ ladies and gentlemen is a biological fact.
    I left it out in order to not sound so dead serious. Good thing someone brought it up.

6. MayaBee

I know I am under age limit but I'll answer anyways.

I'm going to say it like this: if you want to drink, sure why not, give it a try, but if you dont like it, dont put pressure on youself to act like you would like it. Lately I have been at alot of parties and I noticed that the people that dont drink are often more accepted by the others than they think. In reality, people dont care if you drink, as long as you arent a party pooper. I have a friend who doesnt drink, but uses to 'shot' down coca cola, just so it looks like she'd drink, and that just makes her look ridiculous.

But drinking because you want to fit in? I wouldnt recommend it. Drinking is a serious thing and you should do it because you want to.

After all, I wouldnt think too much about it, having one drink won't kill you and won't automatically make you an alcolic.

7. thepandaboss

If you do ultimately decide to drink, be responsible about it. Stay hydrated (equal parts water to alcohol), don't overdo it (stick with maybe one drink), and make sure you have a way to get home okay safely. Call a cab or have a designated driver if you're drinking outside of the house. Preferably, it might be better for you to have your first drink at home just so you'll be in a safe, familiar environment. And there is absolutely nothing wrong with not drinking at all. Believe me, it's a little overrated. I'm 21 and I do drink myself but I try to limit my intake to one drink every other night. I like some drinks but I don't see the appeal in getting completely snockered to the point where I can't remember anything.

8. lovetoomuch

I'm one of the rare breeds in America. Many people drink before 21, but I have decided not to. Have I been mocked for it before? A little, I'm not going to lie, but most people respect my decision. If anything, my friends joke around about it because they want to taking my 'drinking virginity.' I had strict parents growing up so I never went to parties or anything. Once I got some more freedom, I never saw the hype of drinking. Then I hit 18 and told myself I would just wait.

If you want to try it, I wouldn't discourage you. But simply doing it to fit in is not the way to go. Your true friends will not judge you if you decide not to drink. My friends have completely accepted it now and never pressure me; they actually say I make them feel like a bad person - lol. I would say think about it like high school. If all your friends were smoking marijuana, would you do it just because everyone else was doing it, including a guy you like?

If you didn't drink before the age limit, it seems like drinking never interested you. So I would not do something just because a guy you like does it.
    Do what you want to do. If he likes you, he is not going to reject you because you don't drink (if he did reject you because of that, the guy doesn't deserve you).

9. BaldOldGoat

Different people who drink alcohol like different types. So, trying say a glass of red wine and not liking it may mean that it was just from a horse model, rather than a smooth one. The most difficult thing to drink in my opinion would be bourbon, whiskey, etc. As it is rather strong, definitely needs to be acquired as a taste. Cheap gin is absolutely disgusting, and there's no way to improve on that; bluntly speaking, it's for alcoholics. In terms of beer, at least in the States, the cheap stuff like Bud doesn't so much taste bad as it doesn't taste like much of anything! A microbrew or higher and beer will at least have some taste behind it. I would avoid starting with stout, or other dark beers, as they can be very strong. My advice for trying beer at a bar or restaurant would be to say that you would like to try something mid range between light, often called white, and very dark. If you're at a bar and you're really not sure, they will usually let me try a sample of a couple of different beers so that you won't end up ordering a full pint of something you really don't care for. Hope that helped!

10. whynot

whynot Guest

i haven't drank any alcoholic drinks before.. i don't think there's anything wrong about it.. i personally don't think there's anything i could get from drinking.. so i opt not to do it.. i'm already 24.. my friends would occasionally give me a hard time about not drinking.. but by now i'm used to it.. just because other people do it.. it doesn't mean you should too.. it's your choice to make..

#10 whynot, Dec 23, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 23, 2015
  11. Foz

Foz Guest

Chug! Chug! Chug!

But in all seriousness there is nothing to worry about. My friends and I have been drinking since we were 14 are are none the worse for it, my parents and my friends parents would let us have 2 bottles of beer at sleepovers since we were 15. You'll find out pretty quickly what your limit is and you'll just know when it's time to stop.

12. DougTheBicycle

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Alcohol is dumb, and getting drunk is dumb.

That said, it's also really fun, and there are some drinks that are delicious.

This is something that YOU have to decide for YOU. I drank before I wanted to because I felt kind of pressured, and I wish I hadn't. Well, I wish that my parents hadn't drilled into my brain that if I drank I was guaranteed to die a horrible, painful death. Drinking isn't a huge deal, and you shouldn't feel you have to do it to be cool. And don't do it to impress anyone. That's a bad reason to do anything.

13. foxer

Wow.
    This thread really divides the opinions. Theres like camp 1 & camp 2 and few that fall inbetween.

14. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This is only true for people who are not predisposed, by genetics or early childhood conditioning, to alcoholism. Sadly, what Foz describes is exactly how most alcoholics get their start, and the strongest risk factors for long-term drug and alcohol addiction is early use.

I suspect the substantial cultural and early childhood child rearing differences between the UK and much of Europe, on the one hand, and the US, on the other, are predictive of the differences. Drug abuse and addiction are considerably less problematic outside the US.

It is simply irresponsible to encourage everyone to just go out and have at it without understanding the underlying issues.

15. VolpeSolitario

Thanks for your opinions guys! I'm going to try a cider tomorrow. I want to experience drinking alcohol to see if it's fun or not. I doubt I'll become an alcoholic or anything. I'm sensible and would limit myself to a pint. I just don't want to regret not trying it, since it could be fun. I'll let you guys know how I find it tomorrow! :slight_smile:

#15 VolpeSolitario, Dec 23, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2015
  16. Herbert

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, I'm a tad late, but I've currently vowed to never, never consume alcohol in my life, and to avoid caffeine and mind-altering medication when possible. But that's for religious reasons, so I suppose it doesn't apply well.

17. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Start off slowly - have one or two drinks. You can drink alcohol without becoming intoxicated. Most people won't become alcoholics.

I'm not sure if drinking to calm your nerves is a good idea though - it might set a bad precedent.

#17 imnotreallysure, Dec 23, 2015
  18. RawringSnake

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I have never seen someone get drunk from cider. You'll be fine.

#18 RawringSnake, Dec 23, 2015
  19. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    ^^ You've never drank White Ace or White Lightning then. 7.5% volume and dirt cheap. Popular with alcoholics and 14 year olds.

#19 imnotreallysure, Dec 23, 2015
  20. RawringSnake

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Sounds like a challenge :icon_mrgr