1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Only attracted to unattainable people or celebrities

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by exaura, Dec 23, 2015.

1. exaura

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    For some reason, I have never felt attracted to someone I could actually stand a chance with dating. For basically as long as I can remember, the only people I have ever found physically or romantically attractive are either celebrities, fictional characters, older men or guys who aren't interested in me in that way. There have even been times when I've been interested in people, but as soon as it looks like I might actually stand a chance with them or they're also into me, that attraction vanishes. I'm almost 18 years old and have never been in a relationship or had my first kiss, though I want both and have had the opportunity for them several times, but every time I get close to it I sabotage myself in one way or another. This is even with people I'm not that attached to. The worst part is, as soon as I've sabotaged myself or rejected them and they've moved on, I automatically want them back again. It's as though I am only ever interested in people I can't have.

Whenever it seems like I might actually be able to be with someone, I automatically lose most or all the attraction I had previously had. Physical attraction is usually the main thing, as that's what's gained and lost first. I have only ever been in a position where I actually feel romantically attracted to one or two people I know in real life. These people I have never come anywhere near having a shot with. It seems that everyone I have a chance with I don't feel any spark.

Am I just too picky or is there something else? :frowning2:

#1 exaura, Dec 23, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2015
  2. crazydog15

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Maybe it's because they're safe; you don't ever have to deal with vulnerability if the other person is completely unattainable. I really liked (or is it still "like"?") a straight friend of mine, knowing that he's straight (and married), knowing that there's no shot of us ever being together. But I was okay with that, and I think the reason is that he is unattainable. However, having feelings for him never made me any happier; it was frustrating more than anything else.