1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anxiety

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by MillieLuvsBooks, Dec 25, 2015.

1. MillieLuvsBooks

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Does anyone have any tips for when you feel an anxiety or panic attack coming on?

Is there such a thing as grounding?

Thank you.

2. MillieLuvsBooks

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm surprised to no replies, but yesterday was a holiday.

Grounding is mentioned in a meme going around where you are supposed to look at six things, touch objects, etc. to bring you back to center and to stop the anxiety attack.

#2 MillieLuvsBooks, Dec 26, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2015
  3. IrishJ

Good morning Millie, the old fallback can always be prescribed (pharma) too many to name. Personally I try and find a quiet space to recenter myself, focusing on my breath. Sometimes in a pinch taking a minute to wash my hands in warm water will help to distract or just stepping outside for a moment.

Is there anything specific that sets you up for anxiety/P.A. that you can prepare yourself, or defuse a situation before it becomes worse? - J

4. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Grounding absolutely works. One of the most powerful ways of dealing with anxiety is consciously controlling breath. Your heart rate and respiration rate are basically hardwired to each other, so if either goes up... the other follows. The reverse is true as well. If, when you start to feel anxiety, you immediately start taking long, slow, deep breaths, your heart rate will soon follow, and that, in turn, will basically start a cascade that begins to reduce other anxiety responses.

Another helpful method is to close your eyes and envision a safe, comfortable, secure place you've experienced in the past, a place that represented completely safety and security. (it's helpful to take a moment in advance to create a clear vision of this to be able to "call up" when needed). As you envision it, imagine yourself actually there. Feel whatever is around you. envision your feet firmly planted on the ground wherever it is. Use this in combination with the breathing.

Finally, you can also close your eyes, focus on your body, and imagine that you can control your heart rate and anxiety level with your mind. Use your breath to slow down your heart rate, and imagine the exhale of the breath breathing out all of the anxiety and worry you feel. It is also helpful to basically hug yourself and gently massage or caress your torso and legs. Doing this will stimulate the release of oxytocin and serotonin, both of which are associated with calming and relaxation.

These methods require a bit of practice, but if you do practice them, many clinicians have found them to be as effective, sometimes more effective, than medication.

5. angeluscrzy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Sometimes when Iget real anxious, I try to take a few minutes and play a song or something on my phone. Music seems to calm me quicker than anything else.

6. MillieLuvsBooks

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thank you everyone. I'm not a fan of the idea of seeing a doctor who will only wind up prescribing Rx.

Thanks, Chip, one sometimes does not know, if what's being passed around is the truth or not.

I will try and follow these tips. :slight_smile:

7. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    All of the stuff I mentioned is pretty widely accepted in clinical circles. It works for most people. :slight_smile:

8. Euler

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Do not consult a regular doctor in this kind of matter unless you need a referral to a psychiatrist or a psychologist.

A lot of the anxiety and panic symptoms have psychological origins and to permanently getting rid of them requires that the underlying cause is treated. A qualified psychologist or psychiatrist is the person who can help you with this.

9. Jax12

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If you concentrate on something else it forces your mind to think about other matters, reducing your stress/anxiety. Personally, it took me a while to control my anxiety.

Deep breathing/pursed lip breathing is very effective. I always do that when I feel like my anxiety is getting out of control.

I remember when I first became a lifeguard I panicked about first aids and whether I would do them correctly. I kept making scenarios in my head, but it took me ages to realize that nothing was always in my control. Sometimes, you'll have to wait and see.

10. MillieLuvsBooks

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Chip, I was talking about the meme circulating on social media not what you posted here, which was very helpful. :slight_smile:

Thanks to everyone who replied. :slight_smile:

11. headsup1958

If anxiety and/or panic attacks interfere with your quality of life and grounding or other methods don't work in reducing them, then by all means see a Doc about an Rx. There is nothing wrong or shameful in doing that.