1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is trimming/shaving my arm hair a bad idea?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by VolpeSolitario, Dec 26, 2015.

1. VolpeSolitario

Hi! I've been thinking about trimming my arm hair (using a body groomer) for a while, but I don't know if it's a bad idea or not. My hair is pretty dark so my arms look bushy, and I like a smooth look on guys so I was thinking of trying it. Has anybody done this before? Has anybody noticed and said anything about it? I'm a little worried people will think it looks weird. I'm also worried that somebody I like will think it's weird, or my parents will see and ask lots of questions (it might hint that I'm gay).

Thanks for any help/insight!

2. confu

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Men don't need to shave their arm hair...

3. alex1170

my bf has tried this because he has a bunch of hair on his forearms and almost none on his upper arms. I thought it looked pretty strange, especially as it was grown back. Thing is, it will grow back if you want to try it. But yeah I wouldn't if I were you.

4. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If it makes you feel good about yourself, definitely consider doing it! I shave my underarms because I just don't like the feeling of hair under them. For other people that may feel differently they may have it, and some might not. As for the arms themselves, I haven't done it before, but I know some people do it because they like the feeling of smooth arms, and I say go for it if you think it will make you feel good/confident with yourself.

5. VolpeSolitario

I'm not thinking of doing it because I need to. I'm thinking of doing it because I want to. I like the smooth look. I was just scared about what people would think or if it would look really weird.

6. lovetoomuch

I trim it often. I would have a lot of underarm hair if I didn't. I trim it about every other week and it looks neat. No one questions it because I still have hair, it just isn't anywhere near as busy as it would be if I never touched it.
    I personally wouldn't like for a guy to have no underarm hair, but everyone is different. Do what will make you happy.

7. Awesome

In college in Massachusetts, from Pennsylvania
    Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think that most girls don't shave the hair on their arms even when it is visible because of the awkward stubble when it starts to grow back. I don't know what a body groomer is, so I don't know if that applies here.

If you are talking about shaving the hair under your arms, I believe that that is less unusual, but still uncommon for guys.

8. Patagonia

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I never imagined I would ever do such a thing! But I did it. And I think the whole experience has been awesome. Now I didn't say it wasn't uncomfortable. But, I am really pleased the way I now look. ( Theres an old saying about manscaping.. The shorter the grass the taller the tree. Ill let others be the judge of that!) But remember though, you just don't do it once and that's it. It's alot of work. Now the big BUT. The but is your parents. What WOULD you say to them? And trust me, they will notice. I don't have to worry about. You do. So you better be ready with an answer. Do Google "manscaping" There are good videos. You don't want to yell for your mama to get a band aid :tears:the first time you do this!

9. Plattyrex

I shave jst about everywhere. I hate body hair.

10. Contact1111

Contact1111 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I don't know. I've never thought about how that would look, and it's not something I have noticed one way or another. So, I can't really say. However, any kind of body hair removal may "hint" towards being gay....... like I said I can't say though, because I've never thought about what a person would look like without arm hair. If you want to do it, try it.

11. Ram90

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Personally I trim my chest hair. I have considered underarms, but I might in the future. It just seems like too much work and I'm lazy as hell. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Unless you are referring to yourself and not men in general, I don't think body hair removal hints that you are gay. Loads of Models, Actors and other individuals do it. It could be for professional purposes, but also for personal reasons.

12. lovetoomuch

Sorry for my previous response, I realized you were talking about arm hair and not underarm hair. I have no experience with shaving my arms, but as someone else mentioned, be prepared to answer questions from your parents - they will certainly notice.

13. mychemromance99

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I dislike body hair except on the arms and some on the legs. I trim my underarm hair, and I may go for laser hair reduction sometime in the future. (more effective than trimming/shaving)
    Why, cause I hate body hair.

14. loveislove01

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Do whatever you want, as long as it feels good and you like having smooth arms.
    It's hard to feel confident in looking different, and I'm a girl who doesn't shave/wax her arms but I don't care cause waxing's a pain and I can't shave for certain reasons- and anyway, why'd it bother anyone but me if my arms looked a certain way?

So yeah, shave em if you want.

15. ShaiHulud

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I shave my upper arm because i have random black hairs and it looks fucking disgusting, but my forearm is pretty hairy and i like it.
    At your age i was not happy with my body hair too, but then at the age of 21 i started to like being hairy and manly rather than twink/boy

16. mobrien1993

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If you're talking about your arm pits then you should be fine shaving it and I don't think too many people would notice since it's winter anyway...if you're talking about your actual arms..I do that and people do notice even though im a girl but once you start it grows back thicker so you may really want to think about it before doing so it's kinda like a commitment lol

17. JT1999

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I want to do this but thats what I keep hearing, it grows back worse.

18. Rydia

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I would say do whatever you want. My arm hair is not particularly thick, but it's very dark and visible and I was very self-conscious about it when I was younger, so I shaved it for awhile. TBH, I don't think anyone else really noticed it either way, it was mostly in my head.

Now, I don't really care about it, so I leave it alone. I think the key is, why you are doing it. Getting too wrapped up on trying to conform to other people's views of what is attractive and what is not, is usually just asking for trouble, and kind of pointless to some extent, because everyone's likes and dislikes are different anyway, but if it's something you want to do for you, then I don't see an issue with it.

19. Nordland

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    MAKE sure you shave in the correct direction or you will get ingrown hairs. Waxing is probably a better idea.

20. justin88

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Same.