1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to find a boyfriend?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by jams1998, Dec 27, 2015.

1. jams1998

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hey all,

I've known I was gay for quite a while now. I'm now 17 and I'm pretty comfortable with my own sexuality, knowing I was gay since I was 12 years old. I'm not out to my family and only a very few of my close friends know that I am gay (all girls). Now, the problem is, I don't really interact with any males. I seem to cut myself off from them because I get embarrassed at even the slightest thing. I know it sounds so stupid. It's like a low level of social anxiety or something, I just get so nervous and don't know how to approach new people. I don't often go out, either, which doesn't help much I guess. However, despite this, I'm wanting to try and meet new people and get a boyfriend. I know it doesn't happen within a night but do you guys have any of your own advice / experience to help? How did you find a boyfriend? Also, how can I try and get rid of my nervousness around new people (mainly boys) and make more friends?

Sorry this sounds very stupid, :icon_sad:, but thanks in advance :thumbsup:

2. Steve FS

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Being comfortable around people takes practice, and there's really nothing more you can do except get yourself out there, get more nervous and embarrassed, and learn from every encounter. You'll adapt and learn how to be more social.

I do have to caution you about wanting a boyfriend, though. You have to want it for the right reasons. It's normal to be lonely sometimes, but if you're wanting to get into a relationship just so you can have someone by your side, it can be a problem. You need to love the person, not just the status.

Do you feel like you're ready for one?