1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Puberty blockers... Without parents.

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by IDont Say Aboot, Dec 27, 2015.

1. IDont Say Aboot

So I've started getting friggin' body dysphoria because puberty (low voice, moustache, etc) and I really want to get on puberty blocking stuff... But I don't think my parents are ready to know about me being agender. So here's the bombardment of questions.

1. How expensive are they? I also need to save up for other stuff...
    2. How likely is a Safeway pharmacy to have them?
    3. If Safeway fails, then there is a medium-sized pharmacy nearby. How likely would that be?
    4. How big is the container they come in? Because I'll just be saying that I'm going biking... And taking a backpack will be suspicious.

Oh and by the way I'm of legal age to do medical stuff without parental knowledge, so that won't be a problem.

2. RainbowGreen

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Well... I think I'll have to burst your bubble there, sorry :/

I took Lupron for a while before starting testosterone, which is probably the thing they would prescribe you. The thing costs about 1000$ per dose without insurance. You have to take it every month. Basically, what it does is shut down everything that makes hormones in the body, so it works for male and female bodied people.

You can't get it prescribed easily because it is normally used as a treatment for cancer. You'd need an endocrinologist specialized in trans people to do that. So, yeah, your best bet to get such a doctor would be in a big city such as Regina or Saskatoon.

For the container, yes, it is pretty small and easy to hide, but that's not your biggest problem. Also, you can't inject it yourself. You'd have to get it injected every month.

3. InfinityonHigh

The main problem would be that it's a prescription drug and you can't get it without attracting much attention from your parents. It's also expensive if insurance doesn't cover it. Also, depending on your stage of puberty, the effects of it might not be that significant.

Good news is that at your age, you might be able to start HRT (I'm assuming you'll probably want that). If you're above the age of consent for that you might be able to get it without your parents' consent, but the effects of it are noticeable and I don't know what their reaction would be if they found out.

What do you think your parents' reaction would be to you coming out? Do you think it'll be positive? I suggest looking into that because it'll be much easier if they're on board. Of course, only you can decide when it's best to come out, and I hope this doesn't pressure you into coming out before you're ready. Don't do it if you feel your physical safety will be threatened. Maybe drop a few hints or ask about their opinion on LGBT issues?

Hope this bit helps.