1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bisexual and christian

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Loftymouse, Dec 27, 2015.

1. Loftymouse

Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm still having trouble accepting my sexuality along with my faith as a christian. I get that if a loving god made me the way I am, he wouldn't send me to hell, I also went to the websites that people told me about the last time I wrote about conflicts with my religion, but I read over the verses about homosexuality in the bible and they say we should be stoned/we can't inherit the kingdom of God and I am so scared right now because I know that if I died this second, in my mind, there is a high chance I wouldn't go to heaven. It's making me question my faith so much too. Also since I'm bisexual, not gay I feel like I have a choice and I could be smart and just date the opposite sex. But that makes me feel even worse. Please no judgement, just support.

2. Kira

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    This sort of reminds me of what I went through before I became atheist, my parents were pressuring me. Despite going through it I don't feel like I have anything helpful to say and it's really bothering me. Back when I still believed, I hadn't come to terms with myself and when I did many things I had read in the big book really started to sting, but many things in there don't belong in today's society anyway. Hope you figure it out, whatever your answer may be! I know it's difficult...

3. Euler

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    There is really no way around this. Christianity and the Bible are explicitly against homosexuality no matter how much reinterpretation you apply. But do you think the Bible is infallible word of God? If so, then God is clearly a schizophrenic psychopath. He has changed his mind number of times, he has murdered millions of people for minuscule reasons and he contradicts himself. Do you think you can trust the word of a sadistic serial killer not to burn you in hell EVEN IF you follow his rules to the letter? I wouldn't.

Then again, if you believe in God that is good, then only the way you treat your fellow beings in this world should matter, not whether you follow some arbitrary rules specified in a collection of ancient scriptures.

I'm an atheist and I don't believe in any kind of God. Some people tell me that I should because God is good. To that I always respond that then it should not matter to good if I believe in him or not. Only my actions should count.

4. SpiderGwen

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I've found that a religious belief and my sexual/gender identity are wholly incompatible. One clearly obstructed and oppressed the other. The religious belief had to go in order for me to accept and live my truth. They can't coexist, and quite frankly, I don't understand the mindset of those who try to make the two co-exist. I don't know whether to call it Stockholm Syndrome or what, but as I see it, there's no cherry picking. Either the Holy Texts that condemn us are the divine word of a greater power, or it's the insane, rambling propaganda of folks who felt so marginalized for whatever reason that the only way they felt their culture would continue to survive was to promote breeding as a godly duty and that any other sex was evil. Otherwise, you're wasting your time with a false religion keeping you from whatever true god may exist, providing one does at all.

5. iamdesperate

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I am against the idea that we cant embrace religion and homosexuality together. All people answered here are rather atheists or deny that you cant habe both. Well for me, okay not so religious but still faithful muslim, you can have both. You just have to realize that God gives only one important message in all of his three books: be good. An open homosexual may go to heaven because he has done great things and was a nice person and had faith. You can have both, God doesnt have a law book that states if you do this you will burn in hell for 3 years, it just wants you to be good and not hurt people.

6. Filip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Honestly, I think you're in the clear.
    Because, if you'd try to apply the Bible literally, it also forbids such stuff like wearing synthetic fabrics. And shaving. And eating shellfish. Or having a ham and cheese sandwich.

All the while having such fun stuff as obliging you to stone or sell into slavery people who offend against these rules. Oh, and NOT stoning sinners or selling them into slavery is a sin too!

So... I think we can safely say that either a loving and understanding God would be mainly concerned with whether or no you were guided by a desire for love and to do good, rather than if you broke a few of a million rules.

Furthermore, 2000 years ago, people meant something really different by "lying with a man" than we do today. It applied to the practice of "temple prostitutes", where sex would be a part of religious rites. Also, to the system where older Roman nd Greek men would have a younger "protegé". Which included sex as part of the bargain.
    So... a far cry from the egalitarian relationships of love that we strive for today.

Furthermore, note how the Bible says tha Jesus died for the forgiveness of sins. NOT to tell us not to sin (yeah, we knew that). Nor to take away the possibility.
    So even if loving the same sex would be a sin (just like any of a hundred things straight people do all the time too), it is very forgivable, if you have an honest desire for love and justice.

So no, I don't think you need to panic. If God is good and omniscient, he understands. And he'll still let you in.

7. Loftymouse

Out Status:
    Some people
    Thanks this actually helped a bit

8. Feelunique

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I guess I questioned a lot myself. I won't start a conflict or respond to religious arguments. The old and new testament contradict each other. The close minded ones thump verses to justify themselves and opinion. I remember all are created equal in the eyes of God, all sins are equal, and the story of the prostitute washing Jesus feet with her hair in front of a group who wanted to stone her death. "Let ye who are free of sin cast the first stone"!

9. Anthemic

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I would legit go to Hell for eating shellfish. Holy effing noms! <3

But yeah, you're right. Thank you for your thorough input.

10. AnnoNemus

It can be argued that Jesus fulfilled the Law, and in so doing rendered the teachings of the Old Testament moot. Given that the biblical passages regarding homosexuality come from the Old Testament, many feel that Christians need not obey those teachings. The Jewish Orthodoxy, however, would still see homosexuality as a sin.