1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Growing Up

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by bookreader, Dec 28, 2015.

1. bookreader

Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm in high school, and I'm sort of scared of growing up. I know that I should suck it up and deal with it, but, it's making me anxious. Especially: College, Driving, Jobs
    College: Haven't even thought about what I want to do in life.
    Driving: Scared at the thought of it.
    Jobs: Don't know what jobs I'm capable of doing.

2. SemiCharmedLife

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I know the future is scary. It is at 14, it is at 28. But things change. When I was 14, I hadn't heard of the college I ended up going to, and was convinced that I was going to be in the broadcast booth on Monday Night Football when I grew up.

I'm a big believer in doing things and finding out what you like. When you think about what you like to do, who you like to do them with, and where you like to do them, you can figure out the kind of job/school/setting that is the best fit for you. And when you try things, don't be afraid to screw up. You're 14 and have a lot more time and leeway to make mistakes than someone my age. Setting goals for yourself can help give you direction, but don't be so stuck to your goals that you close yourself off to other opportunities.

So go have fun, get through this year of school and then the year after that, and learn a thing or two along the way. You'll figure out what you need in the process.

3. Aspen

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Growing up can be scary but it's easier than it seems. You have plenty of time to figure out what you want to do in life. I know people in their 30s and 40s that can't answer that question and that's okay. Focus on doing things you enjoy and trying new things. With time, you'll find ideas. The same goes for jobs.

When I first started learning to drive at 15, I had a panic attack every time I got behind the wheel. But with time, I learned how to drive and manage my anxiety, got my license, and now I drive quite a lot. Just start learning with a good, calm teacher and in a quiet area. It gets easier as you gain confidence.