1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Feeling unattractive... (Sorry, this is long)

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by PlaidGlove, Dec 30, 2015.

1. PlaidGlove

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    ...even when other people tell me or say they think I am without me telling them I'm feeling unattractive. Even when people ask me out or give me seductive looks, I don't feel attractive. I feel like, instead of wanting to bond with me or be close to me or have sex with me, people tell me I'm attractive so they can get something from me.

I don't fish for compliments, and I'm not going to put up a picture of myself here to get reassurance or anything. I feel confident in myself due to my intellect and my ability to be there for people as a friend and family member.

However, I haven't felt physically or sexually attractive since I broke up with my girlfriend, which was over two years ago. I broke up with her because the relationship had an abusive dynamic where I ended up losing over a dozen pounds in a few months, became depressed, couldn't sleep, had panic attacks in the middle of the night and worst of all didn't function at work. She also cheated on me with men. It broke my heart so intensely I'll never forget it.

It's as if that confidence that comes with feeling attractive has been taken from me by the abuse that came with that relationship. I didn't even feel attractive when I dated a girl half a year later who was all over me most of the time. I'm in better shape than I've ever been and I've been asked out more often than ever before in the last year, by women and men, but I still don't feel attractive, which I used to. Instead, I feel ugly and unworthy most of the time.

I remember how good it felt to feel attractive and I feel like there's this block between "me" and that feeling, that particular type of confidence. I've worked on rebuilding my sense of self in so many areas, feeling like I've succeeded: I've regained the courage to be vulnerable and show emotions when I'm around people I trust; I've regained the courage to contact people I want to stay in touch with even when I'm the person who gets in touch the most; I've regained the courage to give things a try when I feel scared; I've regained the courage to set and enforce boundaries that are important to me, but with this particular thing: feeling attractive, I feel so lost as to how to regain that particular kind of confidence.

Any ideas? Thank you all.

#1 PlaidGlove, Dec 30, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2015
  2. Steve FS

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I'm sorry you're feeling this way. I can relate to you so well.

Based on what you've told us, you're obviously an attractive person, and you believed that you were attractive before the abusive relationship. Other people think you're attractive, and you receive many compliments, so the real problem is how you perceive yourself as a person.

Abuse is a dangerous thing for your mental health. It makes you believe that you are less than the person that's abusing you, and creates a negative self-image. I believe that's what's happening here.

Honestly, this is something that warrants some counseling, but until then, try to focus on how you perceive yourself.

Look in the mirror and give yourself a compliment, once in the morning, and once before you go to bed. Try to find different things to compliment yourself on - your hair, your smile, your personality.

Whenever you find yourself having negative thoughts, pull yourself away from them and reject them.

"No, I'm not ugly. I AM beautiful."

It's going to take a little bit to train your mind to think this way, but it'll be worth it if you allow yourself to.

3. Really

Maybe you need someone to recognize the beauty in you before you'll appreciate your own external beauty.

We can see it and don't need a photo to know you're beautiful.

Don't worry, somebody real will recognize it, too.

4. Billy the kid

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I was bullied for all of my childhood, I had no confidence, still don't. My advice to you is to make this a battle. Do everything in your power to win this battle. Don't look back, the past is gone, you can't change it. Before you go to bed at night think of three things you are thankful for. When you wake up in the morning smile at yourself in the mirror and tell yourself you will have a good day. Check out some videos online about being confident and meditation. Treat yourself to a new outfit or manicure. Read a positive book. Plan a day trip with a friend or even alone. The past is dead and gone, go forward and win that battle. You are beautiful already! Set yourself free!

5. Ryan monaco

Ryan monaco Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    It sounds like your pretty attractive people dont flirt for no reason it sounds like you have low self esteem and its hard trust me i used to get bullied in highschool for being gay so my self esteem dropped but i overcame that over time what im saying is your attractive it just seem you had a bad experience and it effected the whole way you see yourself over time you will overcome that feeling

#5 Ryan monaco, Dec 31, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2015
  6. Athexant

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    My first piece of advice to you is to push through this and don't give up. I'm in the same boat as you except the periods where I go through feeling worthless only surface if I'm going through a particularly rough time. I used to feel worthless all the time, but I think one day, something in my mind changed and I just got fed up with crying.

Once you decide to do something about it, you've already taken a giant step forward. There are a lot of self-help books out there for people like us, and therapy is always an option. However, I would only see therapy as a last resort because it can be expensive, and you still have a lot of other options left. I would also suggest the mirror idea because it did help me a lot.

You could also change something in your appearance that you believe would make you feel sexier or more beautiful. I recently dyed my hair to a different color and painted my nails in a design that I thought looked neat. As long as you're not doing it for someone else, it's okay to experiment with the way you present yourself. Hair and nails grow back, and there are a lot of clothes and make-up out there. Also, don't forget to remember the person you are on the inside. The person on the inside is what counts. I'm sure you have a charming personality. I'm sure other people see a charming personality inside you.

These feelings will pass eventually with the right methods and coping techniques. If you have any other questions, or just feel like chatting, don't be afraid to message me. I always have an open ear, and I've been in the same boat with these ugly feelings. I wish you the best of luck!

7. PlaidGlove

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thank you all for your thoughtful responses. I really appreciate all the strategies you've shared with me so generously from your own experiences.

@Really, your post hit especially close to home for me. Thank you so much. By my will, I will hang on to the hope that you're right.