1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SSRIs? Therapy?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by TempUsername3, Dec 30, 2015.

1. TempUsername3

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    So, I reached out and got myself some help. I'm gonna be starting meds soon (tonight and tomorrow) which I'm worried about. I'm usually a super tired person as it is and the bottles warn that they"may cause sleepiness" (Citalopram and Quetiapine).

I'll be taking quetiapine to sleep but my friend suggested asking for a non-anti-psychotic??
    Also will the citalopram make me tired, I take it in the morning.

Another thing is that I'm going to camp in a week and they gave me a prescription for 3 days and then a refill for another 3 days, 6 days in total but when I'm away I can't get a refill, will I have mood swings if I don't take them for a while? I'm sure they'll refill my prescription for camp before then because I have to see them every day leading up to it but I was just wondering if I skipped the whole week (Don't really want to be popping pills at camp if they have side effects that I'm not accustomed to especially messing with my energy levels because I will be burning a lot of energy) will anything happen?

2. Ronin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Tell them you'll be away, they should give you enough. It would make no sense to start them then stop. SSRIs take a fairly long time to build up and start working. And it'd kinda suck to "reset" any side-effects if you get them. Doubt you'd have withdrawals that early, though.
    Quetiapine I believe causes drowsiness, hence for sleep. I'm guessing you're being given a rather low dose of that one. That's not really all that uncommon. Some anti-psychotics can sometimes also help boost the anti-depressant. Not sure about that particular one. I didn't get drowsy on Citalopram, myself. It's one of those first-line medications and a newer one.

If there is daytime sleepiness, try to ride it out for a while unless it's intolerable. Many of these side-effects go away. And don't be afraid to call your doctor if you're worried about a side-effect or whatever comes up. And of course, if you are to stop a medication, only do it after you have talked it over with your doctor.

Check out the Crazymeds website. I've really liked them for finding out info about these things. They're thorough, realistic and it's directed to us commonfolk who are taking the medications and don't speak doctornese. Well, that's been my experience, anyway.

3. TempUsername3

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Thanks, these are all things I will keep noted. The side effects so far have not been pleasant and I'm hoping my body will adjust as soon as possible. I talked to one of the counsellors over the phone today and I'm schedule in for 2 more face-to-face appointments, one right before I go away so I'll be sure to mention my concerns about taking them while I'm away.

Thanks for the help!

4. harriete

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I took citalopram for about 4 years. It was great for the first few years however when my body stopped reacting to them I went through citalopram withdrawal and that was hell especially as it lasted for a solid month. I tried multiple different meds before citalopram and it was the only one that leveled me out, it was a wonder drug while it lasted but I'm now resisted to it
    Talk to your gp about your options as citalopram is a pretty hefty drug to start on. Hope you feel better soon and good luck with it ☺

5. TempUsername3

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    How did you get past the nausea? I constantly feel like I've been out drinking the previous night and blew my limit. I'm constantly dry heaving in the morning and it levels out towards midday. I've tried eating before I take the pill and I'm only on day 5 at 10mg. I was supposed to bump it up to 20mg yesterday. I told my counselors I'd stick it out until I see the doctor and see if they recommend a switch in medication.

It took me 3 hours this morning to convince myself to take the citalopram. The end is not justified by these means.