1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gay and going to the gym

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by lastking, Jan 1, 2016.

1. lastking

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Whenever I go to the gym, there's always a couple guys around my age who I can't stop staring at. I'm not talking about being in the locker room (that's another story) but just seeing them working out, it becomes distracting because they're attractive and have a nice physique. How do you gay guys deal with going to the gym?

2. lovetoomuch

I feel your pain, but if you think about it, a straight guy who sees a good looking girl at the gym is dealing with the same thing.

I used to go to the gym really early in the morning and I would see the same guy every day and he was very good looking / distracting. I would just put in my headphones though and focus on my workout. Of course I would take a glimpse at him once in a while, but there really isn't much you can do about it.
    I think listening to music keeps you in the zone and prevents you from getting too distracted, especially on guys - haha.

#2 lovetoomuch, Jan 1, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2016
  3. arbit

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi lastking!

I used to have the same problem but then I realised that the only way I was going to get their attention (which is way more fun) was by working harder than they are ^-^ headphones help as does working so hard all you can do is focus on the burn and your counting haha

Gazing at others is for the stretching and cooling down period :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

4. Stoccata

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I'll be frank in that I've never really had that problem. When I'm in the gym the only thing I focus on is my workout. Are there sometimes some really good looking guys (and girls in my case) that I might look at out of the corner of my eye between sets? Sure, but I don't let it distract me, they're just part of the environment. I'm in the gym for a reason, and it's not to stare at other people.You have to cultivate the mindset of why you're there, and focus on your goals.

5. lastking

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    You actually make a good point that straight guys would have the same issue with attractive girls at the gym. I never thought about that. Also, yeah, listening to music kind of helps with being distracted.

---------- Post added 1st Jan 2016 at 08:53 PM ----------

I agree with you, I'm new to going to the gym, so I need to change my mindset and focus on working out.

6. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I have a simple way to deal with this problem. I simply don't go to the gym. Problem solved! :lol:

More seriously...the closest I come to a gym in the last 30 years or so has been swimming pools. They are problematic in that swimmers are nearly naked. But a plus is that if one is actually swimming, one's face can be in the water, thus cutting out distracting views. Just don't pause too long to catch your breath (and stare at the hot guy wearing a tight Speedo)!

As stated above, one assumes straight guys have the same problem when seeing good looking women.

7. Billy the kid

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Haha well you have to get your work out done so while working out you have to concentrate on yourself of coarse. Now in between sets you use those mirrors to check them guys out! You know they love it!

8. ShaiHulud

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Happens to me a lot. I go in a Powerlifting/strongman gym and holy fuck 90% of the guys are hot as hell and yeah sometimes i know i lose myself staring at them but what should i do? i bet they do the same when those pretty girls squat with tight pants :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

9. Jax12

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, I think it is what it is. There are A LOT of good looking guys at the gym I go to, and I honestly can't stop staring at them. One of them was staring at me probably because he caught me looking at him, but I rarely see him so I don't know if he's into guys or not LOL. I've gotten hard from guys that are really attractive, but I try my best to hide it.

@ShaiHulud Omg strongman/power lifter gym?! That's paradise for me! I cannot stop staring at those guys.

10. bookreader

Out Status:
    Some people
    I agree with the others, just focus on yourself. Everyone's at the gym with a goal in their mind and when they focus on it, they don't pay attention to anyone but themselves.

11. lastking

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I tried avoiding the gym for a long time because of hot guys but I guess it's something that won't entirely fix the issue, I just need to accept it. Also, I do swim but luckily every time I go swimming I've never seen attractive guys, it's usually much older people. The attractive guys are usually in the heavy weights section.

---------- Post added 3rd Jan 2016 at 12:17 PM ----------

Although, it's true that straight guys have the same issue with girls, I guess it's just seems a little bit more awkward for a straight guy to be constantly checked out by a gay guy.

12. Ravi-VIXX777

I usually just keep to myself and listen to music. Nothing wrong with staring, I'd bet it happens much more than you think.

13. pd04

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Sorry I shouldn't be here because I'm a female. But it's okay to stare at people a little bit. When I workout a lot and get a lot of stares sat the gym, it let's me know I'm getting the body I want and look good. On the other end, I pretty much talk to everyone at the gym. So you could try talking to them, it would probably make you feel better lol. So, yeah I wouldn't worry about it too much. Pretty much everyone stares at times.

14. Gay1234

I don't go to the gym but of seeing pictures of guys working out in gym ads, it is definitely hot and distrsctive. In my view it's normal and you just have to find a distraction from the guys to get back to your work out.

Good Luck,
    Gay1234

15. lastking

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    No problem that you're a female, thanks for your advice!

---------- Post added 3rd Jan 2016 at 03:20 PM ----------

I agree with you, people that go to the gym are doing their own thing (distracted by listening to music, chatting with their friends, and etc.). I think listening to music might help for me.