1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Feeling ashamed/hypocritical

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by FrogFriend, Jan 1, 2016.

1. FrogFriend

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I think this is the right forum.

Basically, I was raised in a fairly homophobic area and stuff, so I got a bit of stuff internalized. When I see LGBT+ couples, I tend to think first "gross" simply because I'm so used to being told/seeing/thinking that's the way its supposed to be, or seeing someone saying they are LGBT+ and thinking "they just want attention". I know it's super wrong, especially because I am lesbian, and it does give me an internal struggle. Sometimes I see a happy straight couple and just wish I could do that, or see a bunch of girls talking about a boy and wishing I could just join in. It gets really stressful at times because I start to feel gross about being the "wrong" way, especially because I'm only recently out to myself in the first place.

Does anyone else ever feel the same way? Or know how to get over that hurdle?

2. Isarene

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I totally feel you. I was trained all my life to view LGBT+ couples as "gross" myself. Yet, here I am. :lol: I think it's all in the way you were raised, though I'm sure in time we will accept LGBT couples as normal. I guess some things just take time.

3. Ravi-VIXX777

I used to feel the same way, but why judge any couple for the matter?

If a guy and a girl are holding hands, don't assume they're both straight. One or both could be bi, pan, transgender, or even in the closet and hiding. Heck, two of my best friends, one is gay and the other is a lesbian hold hands in public.

As for seeing same sex couples, it's just gonna take time and an open mind to get used to it. Why not try looking at tumblr for couples? Haha.