1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

anxiety and personal image

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by YogSothoth, Jan 2, 2016.

1. YogSothoth

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hello all!
    I'm new here, this is my first post... I decided to post here because, even though this is somehow related to relationships, it goes beyond that for me. This is going to be a bit of a long post, so bear with me.

Also, English is not my first language so sorry for the mistakes.

I am 22, and came out only 3 years ago. I had struggled most of my life with self confidence and body image because I'm a very nerdy type and I'm not in the best physical condition (I discovered that how I look it's called "skinny fat"). I have always been like this, and I looked to the other, fitter, better looking, etc. guys and thought that I would never be like them. I still think like this.

I had my first boyfriend from April 2014 to June 2015. It was all nice, but there was a problem: he loved having random hookups with strangers and stuff like that, and we lived in different countries (I live in the Netherlands, he lives in Austria), so he proposed to have an open relationship. I was mortified to know that he was going to be sleeping with other guys because, in my mind, he would certainly choose to stay with any of them rather than with me, ugly as I was.

In the end, we broke up, I couldn't handle it and I got really anxious and depressed. It was really bad.

I guess I should say that a very important part is that I don't have much sexual experience, I've only had sex with 5 guys since I came out. This was a very big factor in the anxiety that I had while being with my ex.

Then I met this other guy, with whom I've been for around 2 months. He is very nice and all, and the relationship is going very well I think. But he has told me about some of his sexual experiences, like he's done cruising, and had threesomes and gone to sex clubs, apart from having sex with many guys. I have done nothing of that, and I know it's really stupid but I feel both ashamed and envious of him. I feel like I'm behind in some way. He has told me he doesn't care that I haven't done the things he has done, but in the back of my mind I do care, which sucks.

I don't know how to deal with this, I'm afraid this will put difficulties into my relationship in the future, so I want to solve this issue, or at least begin working on it.

Anyway, this was my story, sorry for the long post.

Hugs to all!

2. bookreader

Out Status:
    Some people
    Hi there! First, are you having safe sex? Second, if you're in a relationship with a guy that screws around, then that's not a relationship. I would focus on yourself and lay off dating and sex.

3. YogSothoth

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey! Yeah I've never had sex without protection.
    As for the second thing, he's not screwing around atm when we met he told me he was "tired of the empty sex," so he's not doing anything now (as far as I know). What he told me was about before we met. But yeah... I feel the problem has much more to do with my personal insecurities than with him

4. bookreader

Out Status:
    Some people
    You should be comfortable with yourself and I know that's tough, but you are you.

5. pd04

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Don't worry about not being as experienced in those areas. The only way it can affect your relationships is if you let it. You have to remember they're willingly with you, so they obviously like something about you! So you don't need to be envious, although I understand why you would be.