1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What the f-ck do I do?? (Outing of transgender identity)

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by wontwalkblindly, Jan 3, 2016.

1. wontwalkblindly

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    One of my best friend is trans (ftm). He came out to me in April. He came out to his mom in May. She said "I love you" and stuff but she still calls him his birthname and feminine pronouns. She also kind of makes fun of him for expressing his gender the way he wants. Like the other day he said she told him "that's disgusting" about having a bulge in his boxers. And he's made fun of him binding and stuff too. Idk it just seems off even tho she says she's supportive.
    He's been dealing with that. It's hard on him but he manages.
    He came out on Facebook in June and changed his name. He hasn't had any major conflicts with that and most people are fairly supportive even if they don't completely understand.
    Last night he got a call from his grandma. She said something like, "did you change your name on Facebook?" Or why or something. I guess another family member showed her his Facebook cuz he had her in his profile picture. So when she mentioned his name, he hung up on her and threw his phone across the room. He said later that he wanted to burst into tears but couldn't because we were at a group sleepover. Me and him went on a drive and listened to music but didn't talk about it. He texted one of his older friends for advice and I don't know exactly what she told him. He said she kinda had suggestions but didn't want to specify further. I didn't push him.
    I mean we got through the first night but I'm sure he's hurting a lot and really scared. He's posting a lot about self harm and suicide on his tumblr which isn't new but it definitely seems worse than usual. I'm sure he's gonna end up self harming in the next few days, but what I'm really worried about is a suicide attempt. I don't know if he even has enough energy for that but I'm really scared. He hasn't attempted before that I know about but we have only been friends since last April and hes been struggling for a while before that.
    How can I support him and make sure he's okay? I don't know what the f-ck to do.

2. RavenTheRat

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Hun, I know this isn't what you want to hear, but tell an adult. A counselor, a parent, anyone. Because if he really needs help, or perhaps needs to go to counseling with his mom, an adult can get that done. And in the end, your friend might be angry at first, but later on down the road he'll be grateful you did.

3. wontwalkblindly

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No you don't understand. He's in counseling. His mom knows he's been struggling with this stuff, but she's not gonna be any help with this specifically sice she doesn't really support him. Adults can't fix everything, not even parents. Sorry but it's the truth. She'd probably tell him to get over it or he brought this upon himself for "choosing to be trans." And regardless of who I go through, it's gonna eventually land with his mom and then yeah. I can't do that. It'll make things worse for him and then he won't even feel like he can trust me.
    I need to know how I can support him and/or where I can get him support.

4. boatlanding

boatlanding Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Always use his preferred name/pronouns around him. Tell him you support him and are there for him, just your support of his identity can go a long run--I know it did for me when the only person accepting me was my sister and it made me feel great and look forward. Tell him to find a good LGBT+ accepting forums like this one so he can vent his problems and know there are others out there

5. wontwalkblindly

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    What are some online support forums or groups for ftms?