1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Falling into the same trap over and over again.

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by lovetoomuch, Jan 4, 2016.

1. lovetoomuch

This is half seeking advice / half rant, so please bear with me. I seem to have a problem of getting emotionally attached to people I'm interested in. Let me say, I'm very picky when it comes to liking someone and that's something I'm not particularly proud of. However, once I feel an attraction or a spark, I can't stop thinking about the person, even if I don't know him personally or well. So let me explain.

The first guy (we will call him Jake) this weird "obsession" started with was three years ago. I knew him from cross country and he went to a different school. We had ONE conversation in person and the feelings started. We eventually followed each other on social media and while I barely saw Jake or talked to him much, I was getting more interested each and everyday. I would look at Jake's social media often and wish I could just talk to him. It consumed my life for two years until I finally told Jake my feelings (which is so awkward when I think about it because he didn't know me extremely well). Jake told me he was straight, but was very nice about it. I still didn't get over Jake though and struggled with the rejection. I knew I wouldn't get over him until I found someone else.

And so, it happened. I got over Jake about 2 months ago, but that's only because, of course, I set my sights on someone new. I found this new guy (let's call him Matt) on social media when scrolling through profiles. It started with a friend request and I guess you can sense where this is going. My crush for Matt is nowhere near as extreme as it was with Jake because this crush kind of just started (but it's heading in that direction). Matt is out as gay, so I would have a slight chance. However, it's just weird. It's weird enough I friend requested him with no mutual friends. I can't just start random conversations with Matt like I could with a friend.

This is the first time I'm really sharing this information because I know how much of a stalker I sound like and I'm really ashamed of it (please try not to judge me). It's not like I go and stalk these guys in person or something and my last intention is to be creepy. I just find myself really liking something about them and then I become emotionally invested.

I deleted all forms of social media except one to try and control these temptations to constantly check up on them. I even deleted Jake off social media to stop myself from messaging him, but I still have Matt as a friend. I've only messaged him once so far, but I am constantly looking at his profile.

Wow, now that I sound like a creep. Like I said, I don't know why I do this and how I fall for these guys I barely know. These are the only two people I have been genuinely interested in in the past three years (or my life for that matter) but it's still pathetic; also this is very unhealthy for my well-being.
    The saddest thing is if I hypothetically dated these guys, I could end up not liking them (because I really don't know their personalities at this point).

Does that mean I'm invested in them physically? I think it's a combination of many things. Physical attraction. Seeing their statuses and assuming what their personalities are like. Maybe the unknown about them excites me? I just don't know. It's not like I even think about having sex with Matt. I legitimately dream of a relationship and the couple stuff.

Any help would greatly be appreciated, but please try to be nice and non-judgemental. I feel like such a fool.
    Is there a way to stop myself from falling into this pattern? Thank you so much for taking the time to read this whole thing.

2. j0hn

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Bro. Chill. In this day and age I doubt anyone passes up the chance to cyber stalk a crush. Hello Guilty as Charged Right here! And I'd bet someone else's left testacle that at minimum 83% of millennials, gay or straight, use social media to better view their crushes from afar. While it is a tinge obsessive, it's not abnormal so please don't even fret about that.

As for you becoming so attached, I would imagine it's not too odd especially as you have a more paticular taste in guys. Is it healthy? Probably not. Is it expected? I would imagine so and I'm sure youll break out of it. I mean hey you've already completed one step: Admitting you have a problem. Call yourself out on these things if they happen again and try to calm down.

As for starting up a conversation with random people on social media.. bro it happens all the time. Start out with a "Hello" " How was your day?" or even"Whats up?" Take it from there. Or do you not try to make friends with random people at school and work lol. Afterall, how do you think dating sites and gay apps thrive? People start randomly talking. Just don't expect immediate responses. Be patient. And if theres no response,e take the hint that maybe they're not into you. No harm no fowl but at least you tried