1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice for a Young Lesbian?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Stupidmeoww, Jan 5, 2016.

1. Stupidmeoww

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I'm 13 and I've known I've been gay for a little over a year now and I just came out to some of my friends 4 or 5 months back. I still haven't came out to my parents yet, I have no idea how they will react though, they're religious but not that open about it, they don't go to church or force me to go. I've never heard them voice their opinions about the LGBT so I have no idea what kind of reaction I'll get. Every time I try to come out I always chicken out. This is one of my problems.

My other problem is that I have no idea how to find other LGBT people around my age. I'm currently homeschooled but I will return to school next year when I'm in 8th grade. But even while I am in the public school, no one will know I'm gay, at least I don't plan for them to know, because again I have no idea what reaction I'll get. I live in a pretty small town, which(as far as I know) has a small or no LGBT community, so far as I know, I'm the only LGBT kid in town. :help:

Even if I found out someone else was a lesbian, I have little to no confidence when talking to people, especially girls. I've always been the quiet one in class who doesn't enjoy participating in activities. Another issue is, I only hang out guys during school, I don't have a single friend whose a girl in my grade, or in middle school actually. But I don't believe I have a bad reputation with the girls, they're pretty nice to me, although I can't tell if it's out of pity or them just wanting to be friends.

So if I could have some advice for these problems or just someone to talk to, I would highly appreciate it and sorry for ranting on. :smilewave

2. peachygogh

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Being gay and a young teen is hard,I'm right there with you. Coming to this website is a great start! When you go to public school, they might have a Gay Straight Alliance Club (my school doesn't.) As far as finding other LGBT people, you just have to make some good, trustworthy friends, and wait. And I would wait to come out to your parents until you know their views (I came out on accident, it sucked) I'm sorry I can't be of much help

3. Houdini

You could try to find out about your parents opinion by discussing some LGBT topics with them. Just begin with: I read about /saw on TV...
    and maybe you get a bit of an clearer image how they would react if you would come out to them.

4. thesecretcat

I know how it feels to think that you are 'the only LGBT kid in town' as I too live in a small area with next to no LGBT scene , but don't worry this is quite a normal feeling to have as many LGBT people do feel isolated, especially young people. But what I've learnt is that it doesn't last forever! You will certainly come across other LGBT people later on in life (it can take a while to find but if you do your research or find an LGBT youth group then you'll find like minded people, this site is a good place to start). Sit tight, go with the flow, enjoy school and try not to get to bogged down because being gay, lesbian bi or whatever is a hell of a lot of fun :slight_smile:
    Good luck and have a good day

5. ConnectedToWall

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Yes! I would agree, being lesbian is awesome! I'm not sure if this is the right way for everyone to handle it, but I watched a lot of tv shows with lesbian couples to get over my feelings of isolation. I don't want to be too off topic here, but isn't Alex Vause just awesome? She was bullied in school too. Shane from the L word is another one of my role models, and don't even get me started on Mary Lambert...I guess my point is, never feel alone in your LGBTQ+ness (*hug*)

6. Stupidmeoww

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Quick Update:
    About a month ago I ended up coming out to my parents and my aunt after a discussion on why my friends, who the most part are guys, couldn't stay over. I told them and their reactions were actually pretty great. My Mom was surprised, but my Dad and my Aunt didn't really care. Also, after about 10-15 minutes I went online to chat with my friend since first grade through steam, because I had to tell someone about the events that had happened, turns out, that he's bi. Another fun fact, my other friend, whom I've been friends with since about 4th or 5th grade is bisexual as well. Thanks for advice, guys! I really appreciated it and I feel welcomed to be apart of this website. (&&&)