1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Overthinking a situation

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by lovetoomuch, Jan 9, 2016.

1. lovetoomuch

Hi there, this post is all over the place, but I could use some advice and this site has done wonders for me in the past.

I went to church by myself tonight as I usually go on Sunday with my brother, but I'm coming out tomorrow to my parents and wanted to talk to God one last time before I did it. Anyways, I was sitting in the pew by myself about 10 minutes before church started when the pastor came over to me. He said, "Are you a basketball fan?" I said, "Yeah, of course." He said, "I have tickets to a basketball game Wednesday, would you and your brother be interested in going?" I said something like, "Definitely, let me get back to you on it."
    He later came back and said, "It doesn't have to be you and your brother, anyone else you would like."

Now, he sees me at church very often and we always exchange hello's and goodbye's. I think he has admired me going to church since I'm one of the few younger people there (aside from kids there with their parents). He seems like a really nice guy and I have always liked him as a pastor as he Is a very good speaker.

Now, the problem(s). I watch way too many crime shows for my own good and I worry a little about something happening. I feel completely wrong for even thinking like this, but I guess those crime shows have not helped. It was just weird to me that he asked me out of the blue; it was very unexpected, so I guess that's why I'm so hesitant / nervous by it. But as I said, I feel like a terrible person for even thinking like this. Also, as I said on another post, my dad is very overprotective and I'm coming out to him tomorrow. I don't even know how he would feel about it, even though I would bring my brother.

On the other hand, I kind of want to go. I feel like it happened for a reason because I am coming out tomorrow and this could be a nice opportunity to talk to someone who knows my religion very well. And as I said, he seems to be a very nice guy and I like basketball, so why not try to form a friendship with someone very involved in the religious community. I'm probably overthinking this all too much and maybe it's because I'm so nervous about coming out. Plus, I'm 20 so there is nothing wrong with me going.

No harsh criticisms of my thinking please, but any advice would really be appreciated! Do you think I should go? Thanks!

#1 lovetoomuch, Jan 9, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2016
  2. HM03

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It never hurts to be cautious :slight_smile:

If your brother went with you, it would be kind of stupid to pull a stunt on two guys, with at least one of them being 20. But then again, it does seem kinda random.

( I mainly commented to bump your thread. Hope things turn out well, either way :slight_smile: )

3. Grounded Eagle

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't know the details of this situation, of course, but perhaps since there aren't a lot of young people who attend your church, he just wants to make you feel included and find more opportunities to talk to you about your faith? Lots of churches have youth groups and do activities and outings together, sometimes sports related. Another consideration: is he on the younger side himself? Maybe he's just looking for some friendship?

I hope this helps a little. Here's a hug of support for your coming out! (*hug*)