1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Issue with roommate's smell

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by josh9623, Jan 12, 2016.

1. josh9623

I am in a college dorm and my roommate or his stuff absolutely reeks. I noticed it when he first arrived, but when i said something he blew it off. I brought it up again and he complained about my laundry smelling. I had the same issue last semester (just nowhere near as bad) and my other roommate and i checked to make sure it wasnt our stuff. He doesnt think he smells but yet complains about people telling him so. Ps he is a 28yo grad student. Is there a way to address this without giving an ultimatum to involve housing?

2. TraceElement

If you want passive aggressive, get Fabreeze and keep spraying it. Or just leave the window(s) cracked.

3. josh9623

I have been doing the febreeze thing about every other time i walk in and it has no effect.

4. Anthemic

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Does he shower? Do you think it's his hygiene?

5. Bolt35

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Try checking his hygiene habits? I was gonna say febreeze or a good air freshener, but if that doesn't help, try lighting up a safe or something. Open windows, something. Who knows he might have a dead body (sarcasm)

6. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It sounds like you may have to get housing involved, since you have talked to him and he has ignored you.

7. BobObob

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Does it reek when he's gone for a substantial amount of time (e.g., a few hours)? If so, then it's his stuff.

When people are exposed to a smell for a long period of time, the signals for that smell stop getting sent to the brain as often, which stops people from smelling it as much. Consequently, a lot of people don't know when they, or their stuff, smell. When everyone tells him that they smell something foul, he should take everyone's word for it. It's inconsiderate for him not to. You could, in addition to getting housing involved, inform him about how being exposed to a smell for a long period of time can make someone not notice it easily.