1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

my sisters has become suicidal. what do I do?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by CuriousArticles, Jan 13, 2016.

1. CuriousArticles

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I had a worrying message from my sister so I called her and she'd done something stupid. She'd taken some pills (diazapam) and alcohol that don't mix because she didn't want to keep living.

she didn't take much and is okay.

she's clearly suicidal. But I don't know what to do. Who do I tell? she started seeing a therapist a few weeks ago, but has only seen her twice.

i just don't know what I should do now. I'm the only one who knows. And she's asked me not to tell anyone. I don't want to lose her trust. But I need to do something or inform someone.

what do I do? Who do I tell?

2. Jax12

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I remember being suicidal. It was a hard cycle to get out of, and quite frankly, you don't want to get out of it. Family was there to support me, even though they could only do so much.

Is there a suicide hotline that you know of? I wouldn't talk to anyone else yet since it could make things worse. But on your part, just let her know that you will be there for her, and check up on her often and see how she's doing. Take her out for a coffee! Or do things that girls do on their free time. Basically, cheer her up!

3. Mikelhpc228

HI Curious;
    Yes you should take action. She will trust you, but may be upset at first. She called you for help! She is at risk to harm herself. good suggestion to call a suicide line. I suggest calling the therapist,ASAP if youhave their phone or e-mail ASAP. He aor she may know of local resources. YOU are correct, your sister is suicidal, she has the means-drugs/alcohol, and has had tried to harm herself. The worst thing to do for yuor sister is nothing. Please help her get the help she needs.

4. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't know how old your sister is, or what she is going through, but she clearly needs help and support. It's great that she confided in you and it says a lot about how much she trusts you, but it can be hard to step back and support someone who is so closely connected to your own life. When you are emotionally involved it's inevitable that you will get drawn in.

It's good that your sister has a therapist to talk to and as she works through her problems on a one to one basis she may begin to make good progress.

I see you are in the UK, so it might be a good idea to point your sister in the direction of Samaritans - Samaritans | Samaritans or Papyrus - www.papyrus-uk.org Both organisations have a wealth of experience in providing confidential support to people who are depressed and suicidal and your sister may gain some relief from talking to them. The Samaritans helpline is available 24 hours a day.

5. CuriousArticles

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I've told my grandma as she lives with her, but in confidence. She was already worried she was thinking something like this. At least there's someone there to keep a closer eye on her who knows.

Jax12 there isn't much I can do, and cheering her up is basically out of the question. She doesn't want to do anything, and has major anxiety too (along with PTSD symptoms) so going out is hard, but she just wants to sit and cry. There's nothing I can do but sit with her and be there, and there's a limit to how much you can do that. I live a bit of a distance so I'm trying to call her when I can, but she gets anxious on the phone, even to me sometimes. Last night she was meant to call me and didn't, so I called her and she was scared to answer the phone.

She knows about Samaritans but I don't know if she'd call with her telephone issues. I've told her to call me anytime if she needs though. And I'll suggest the hot lines anyway.

I can get hold of the therapist if I need to but I don't think there's anything they can do immediately. It's NHS, and her next appointment isn't for another 10 days as she couldn't do next week. And because of her work there's no other chance of an appointment. It's been a big problem finding this for her. She won't see anyone privately; I've been trying to get her to since the summer.

I really hope this therapist helps, but it's such early days: She's has 2 sessions. I just don't know what to say to her to keep her going.

6. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Bear in mind that Samaritans can be contacted by e-mail, text and letter. The telephone offers the quickest response, but sometimes people are more honest and able to describe their feelings better in writing. If the telephone is a problem, texting would be the next best option for your sister. The Samaritans text number is 07725 909090 (UK only).

I hope she is able to get the support she needs.