1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to avert my mom's suspicions

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by bubbles123, Jan 16, 2016.

1. bubbles123

bubbles123 Guest

So my mom may have some suspicions I'm not straight, but it's hard to say. Either way, she'd probably be in denial about it.
    But recently I decided to read this book for school that's about a girl growing up in the 60s in a religious family who was gay and her mother disowned her and stuff.
    But now I don't know what to do if my mom asks what the book's about. She knows what the title is and I can't just change the book now:

1) I could lie, or say something vague about it, but I worry I'm bad at sounding convincing sometimes and not that she would but if she was suspicious she'd look it up and that would be an obvious clue if she knew I was hiding what the book was about.

2) I could just say what it's about and try to act casual, but I will sound awkward and the fact that it's about a gay girl in itself could hint to her if she's already suspicious.

Any ideas on what I should do? I've avoided the subject so far but I may have to tell her eventually because I have to do a big project on it. I just want to do the thing that will be the least damaging

2. ConnectedToWall

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    That sounds like an interesting book, what's the title?
    You could always say "It's about a girl growing up in the 60s who lives in a very strict religious household and the struggles she faced because of that."
    If she looks it up and doesn't like what it's about, you can always say that its required for you to read it for school. If you're really worried about your mom's reaction, I would advise only reading it at school or where she can't see. Do you know weather or not your mom is actually homophobic? I thought mine was but she turned out to be not as homophobic as I thought....

3. bubbles123

bubbles123 Guest

I'm not sure she's homophobic, more so I just don't want her getting suspicious right now and I think she'd have trouble accepting it. But yeah, that helps I think I'll probably say that since it's vague, yet doesn't sound like I'm lying.
    The book is called Oranges Are Not the Only Fruit by Jeanette Winterson. I really loved the book and would definitely recommend it.

Thanks for the advice!

#3 bubbles123, Jan 16, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2016
  4. Jmiller85

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Sounds like an interesting book! :slight_smile: