1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I looked like an idiot in front of my coworkers and I feel really dumb?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by TyTy91, Jan 16, 2016.

1. TyTy91

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Okay, so this is kind of not a big deal, but at the same time I feeling some type of way about the conversation that I had with both of my coworkers and I didn't like it. One of them was my manager and he is a year older than me, lets call him "Denis" and then Alex another coworker who is a grocery employee, and both of them have been friends for years. I worked with them at another store before a few times.

Alex and I were talking about school, because I notice that he was only working when I see him during the week, only on saturday. Alex told me he works once a week because he is in school and taking 4 classes. I mention that I'm in school as well, but taking 2 online because my school is an hour away and I have 2 jobs as well. He asked me what I was taking and I told him, Human Communications and English. Alex asked me what type of English class, I really didn't know the correct English class and I told him that I believe it was composition/rhetoric. Anyways I told him that I prefer English writing and etc than math. He asked me if I like to read books and I said "yeah, well kind of ish" and he repeated what I said "well kind of ish" which one is it he said". I really do have books about TV production and I said that. However I have books about spirituality and candle magic etc and a biography such as "Amy, My Daughter" and How to books, For Dummies series. However I just told Alex, TV production books, and I told him that I have ADD and some stories stimulate me and some that just don't. Then he asked me "what stimulates me?" but I believe he was interested in knowing, but it was how he said "What stimulates you?" in a awkward voice (to me) and I kind of laugh a little, because Im thinking to myself, Why did I say that? and how the way Alex said it. So Denis was standing right by us when I chuckled just a little bit, and then Denis walked by the other register and the tone of his voice was curious, but, I get the feeling that he wanted to know my age because I laughed and thinks that I'm a little immature and that Im much younger. Had Denis asked me before that "stimulation" question I would have let this go.

Anyways I mentioned Edgar Allen Poe and, Alex was like, "you like the dark stuff etc?" I like some of his poems, scary depressing but interesting. I mentioned I like "To Kill a Mockingbird" Alex agreed which I was honest because they did kept my attention in high school. I feel as though both of them thought that it was my favorite authors and books but I was just telling them what interested me when reading the books in Language Arts/English classes. Otherwise Alex told me that what did I like to read in my spare time I pretty much told him TV production already and I couldn't think of what to say at the time and I told them random things that I read online wikipedia etc. You know internet surfing Alex said that "we wont judge you? It's a good thing that I didn't say the spirituality stuff because I deeply believe they were talking about me once I left after what just happened.

They are pretty much smart people in college studying computer science. My major isn't that serious.

Alex told me about an author that I should read about him, and then I asked him what genres does he write about and he didn't know. He seemed confused I kind of ignored about what he was trying to say, and that I understood what he was saying. I was telling him its okay.

Because I learned that Denis is a little passive aggressive I was late one day and right fully so he called up on my ass and exposed me but at the same time he was slowly making some digs before saying my name. Also he did again another coworker Jenni and it was the 3 of us at the time and mentioned to me that it isn't me and you didn't know. Meaning that what happened was Jenni fault and Jenni knew that it was towards her she confirmed it too.

The conversation that happened made me look really very unintelligent especially stumbling over my words and it's honestly bothering to the point when I get to work on Monday I would like to discuss what happened tonight. It's really bothering me especially the fact that Denis asked me my age when I chuckled with what Alex asked me (About what stimulates me?)

I will tell him what Im interested in music, politics, and spirituality. When it comes to listening to music artist I'm extremely open minded I bet they don't even listen to old school stuff like I do Im 24 I don't know what 20 something year old listens to Billie Holiday Frank Sinatra, Bessie Smith, Janis Joplin, Amy Winehouse, The Gap Band, The Beetles, Michael Jackson, Tina Marie to Christina Aguilera, Beyonce, and Rihanna.
    I will tell them that I like to read about pop culture, spirituality books, I like to listen to political debates I'm interested in politics.

I know that I don't have to explain myself but, I feel like I have to, it's different if they were strangers and that I would never have to see them again, but I work with them and I will see them again.

What should I say to my manager when I see him? Should I just ignore this until one day where its saturday I ask them how school is going? Then asking them about current events and about the political debates, and I really am interested in that so its not made up. People my age including them don't care about politics, political topics are very complex and divisive and politics is VERY dirty and its a "game" but it's still important. Here what they have to say! Showing them that I have an interest in things that they wouldn't think that I'm interested.

2. bubbles123

bubbles123 Guest

Sorry all this happened. But everyone laughs at dirty things like that sometimes no matter what age. I know I'll be making that's what she said jokes till I'm an old lady! I don't think it's necessarily an immature thing, especially since you were casually conversing it's not like it was in a very professional situation like talking to your manager. If you find something funny, you have a right to laugh at it and you shouldn't need to hide what you feel funny.
    People interpret things how they will and honestly everyone forms different judgements and some people are more judgy than others. You can't please everyone and you don't want to start making yourself fake in front of them because then you'll always have to be like that.
    All you can do now is keep going forward and eventually they'll think of you not as they do now, but in the way you really are since this was just a few events that may make you seem a certain way, but don't really show how you are most of the time and they'll see that in time. Think about it, I'm sure if you look at any one person, say a friend, at one instant in their lives, you can think a make specific judgement about them. But knowing them over time as a friend, you know that's not how they are overall.

I wouldn't try to go out of your way to bring things up that you wouldn't normally. Just talk like you normally would going forward and don't sweat it.
    Hope this helps!
    Whenever I feel really embarrassed or bad I just remember it's temporary and it will pass and eventually it will just be a memory and I'll be past it.

3. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Different people come from different backgrounds (educational, socio-economic, and so forth) and so no two people are the same, and even at the same age and education level, people will have different interests, aptitude, and so forth.

Don't ever compare yourself to someone else. Your journey is your own, and rather than devaluing yourself by saying "these people are really intelligent" (implying you aren't), give yourself credit for pursuing college, taking online classes (which requires a lot of self-motivation and independence) and focusing on things that interest you.

I wouldn't focus on what happened too much. If you feel like they were disrespectful, you can gently point that out, simply saying "I wasn't feeling respected" or some such. A good manager will take that and change the way he communicates. So either Denis will do that or he won't, but at least you've asked for what you need... and that's a big part of the battle.

4. TyTy91

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Thank You guys I woke up the next day and then I had a couple of drinks and realized that it passed. Then the next day things went fine with my manager we were just talking and it turns out that one of the girls from high school I wasn't friends with them but I consider them my acquaintances it turns out my manager is has been going out with one of them for almost 3 years now! Small world!