1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Homophobia?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by ConnectedToWall, Jan 19, 2016.

1. ConnectedToWall

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    So, I think sometimes people don't understand how upsetting their comments can be. Like when people act like being lesbian, or gay, is a choice. And sometimes it's like, the smallest thing someone says, is the worst, and then you feel angry the whole day, because you realize, that in the world there are people out there who are dying because of their sexual orientation, and there are so many people who will never understand...
    Thoughts?

#1 ConnectedToWall, Jan 19, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2016
  2. Euler

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Perhaps next time some one suggests being gay is a choice, ask them to prove it. If it really is a choice they should have no trouble becoming a gay for a week and then going back being straight again the next week.

3. DougTheBicycle

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

I did that once! The person in question was not only homophobic, but a rampant racist.

Le Me: Do you think being gay is a choice?

Dude: Yeah, cuz it is.

LM: Well then! Be gay.

D: W-what?

LM: Be gay. If it's a choice, choose to be gay.

D: No!

LM: Why? Because you can't?

D: NO. Because I don't want to.

(Le facepalm)

4. Cort

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    ConnectedToWall– I think that the important thing to keep in mind whenever you hear a homophobic comment is that the comment usually is saying more about the person saying it than the intended recipient.

People make these sorts of comments out of fear. Fear of what they don’t understand, fear of wanting to fit in with their friends, fear of wanting to maintain an identity, fear of not knowing who they are, let alone not knowing who you are. It almost always goes back to fear.

Anytime I hear a homophobic comment, all I do is smile ask myself: “Gee – I wonder what that guy is so afraid of? I wonder why he is so lacking in self-confidence that he needs to berate others to build himself up?”

#4 Cort, Jan 20, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2016
  5. Rydia

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I really don't care whether people think being gay is a choice, even though I don't think it is. However, I don't think there's anything wrong with it, so even if it were a choice, I don't see any valid reason to treat people poorly because of it.

I really don't get the mentality that it's OK to be cruel or discriminate against someone because of something you don't like about them, as long as you think it's something they can change.

6. Euler

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    This is an excellent point. Even if it was a choice so what? The homophobic person makes number of life style choices themselves and I doubt they would want someone to come and moralize their choices such as not eating vegan food or running their A/C 24/7. So why do they feel entitled to start lecturing gays about their lives? I mean I sort of get the Bible nuts but I'm utterly baffled by the non-religious types sharing the same attitude.

7. Ram90

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    People thinking that, people being part of LGBTQ+ is a choice, is a choice. It's a choice of being ignorant and stupid. Get it lol. :wink:

8. ConnectedToWall

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    These are all really good points and made me feel a lot better. Thanks guys! :slight_smile:

9. mychemromance99

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Well when someone says that being gay is a choice, ask them this, Did they wake up someday and were like,"Wow. I've decided. I'm straight."