1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Please Help!!

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Tay93, Jan 20, 2016.

1. Tay93

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    A little background about my self first. I've been gay for quite some time know, but I have never told a soul. I'm not really sure why but I have kept this to myself for awhile now. On my phone I have some, lets just say personal stuff (extremely obscene) that if anyone were to see would know that I am gay. For this reason I have a pin code on my phone (have it set to lock after 5 minutes of inactivity).

This is were my problem comes in. Were I work we are supposed to keep our phones on us at all times in case of emergency, ie if our boss needs to contact us. My phone was about to die so I had to charge it and left it sitting at my desk while I got up to use the restroom. Well in that time period one of my co-workers picked up my phone and she started taking selfies of herself. I'm pretty sure that she saw some of the pictures in my phone because today she told me i have some "interesting stuff in my phone". I don't think that she has told anyone, but she has a big mouth. I'm worried because no one at work has a clue that I'm gay and coming out is no longer in just my own control.

I've been working at this facility for over 5 years and I'm genuinely worried to death about this getting out about me. In my own opinion this was very unprofessional of her because I feel as if my privacy has been invaded, regardless of whether or not I had a pin on my phone I do not feel that ANYONE should be picking up some one else's phone and going through it.

I just don't know what to do about this situation, I feel like if this were to come out about me at work that people would think differently of me. I thought of possibly discussing this with my boss but she doesn't know that I am gay either.

Please help me I'm very desperate and didn't know what else to do....

2. taken

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If I were in that situation, I would talk to the girl that was taking selfies on your phone. I would ask her what she meant by "interesting things" and ask her to be specific about what she saw. If she saw something that suggests your homosexuality, ask her to not say anything to anyone. Technically, if she does out you to people, that can qualify as workplace harassment, which is ILLEGAL. If she did see these things, and if she is a friend of yours maybe you can confide in her. I know its scary since you say that she has a big mouth. First, I think it is important to find out what exactly it was that she saw.

3. Euler

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I should point out that the fact that she went digging through your phone is NOT OK even if there was nothing to hide and the phone was not locked. I think you should tell her that what she did was not OK and you feel she invaded your privacy. (And possibly she broke the law. For example sms' are protected from the eavesdropping the same way phone calls are.)

No need to threaten her but if she talks to your colleagues file a complaint to your boss. If she doesn't act on it, sue the company for harassment.