1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I just want to run..

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by jake21987, Jan 21, 2016.

1. jake21987

jake21987 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I don't know what to do anymore, I love this person and we are trying to do this long distant relationship but, I'm afraid after waiting so long they might just give up and move on. I love this person so much but, I'm afraid to lose them more than anything. I know they love me but, I still got 2 years before I can even see them. I feel like I'm holding them back and they might just move on. It hurts to think about this.:icon_sad:

2. Cort

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Jake – you can’t control what this other person is going to do, think, or say. You can’t control whether or not they love you, and you can’t control whether or not they’re going move on. You also can’t control whether or not the long distance relationship is holding him back.

Wow – that’s a lot of stuff you can’t control!

Given that you can’t control any of that, why ruminate on it? What can you gain? Anything?

On the flip side, what is this endless concern of things that are out of your control costing you? It’s costing you your time, your energy, your mental state, your happiness, and on and on.

My suggestion is this: Don’t worry about what you can’t control.

If he loves you like you love him, then he’ll be there waiting for you in two years. If he doesn’t, he won’t. But someone else will – you just haven’t met them yet.

All of this concern you’re harboring up inside is probably going to manifest itself in the relationship in some form whether or not you want it to. I suggest that instead of keeping these concerns to yourself, you share them with him. You may find that he has the exact same concerns. Better to be open with each other.

As much as we all like to think we can read other peoples’ minds – we just can’t.

Good luck.

#2 Cort, Jan 22, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2016
  3. jake21987

jake21987 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thank you so much for the support and advice. We do love each other and I think it's going to last. I'm going to stay more positive.