1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I'm a bi guy, ex broke up with me, am I ready?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by RandGen, Jan 25, 2016.

1. RandGen

Hey, my ex broke up with me. He was my closest friend, I've been friends with him for 6 years, our relationship was a secret because I'm not out and he left my life forever and pretends I don't exist.

Now, I've mostly gotten over him and I have a crush on this girl. I have so many questions... Am I ready for another relationship? Do I even WANT to be in a relationship? Will I be happy with a female partner? (I was little spoon when I was with my ex and loved that "protected" feeling I got with him).

2. Euler

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    You do realize you are asking intimate personal questions about yourself from strangers who have absolutely no idea who you are or what is going on in your head. If you want answers you have to give us more to work with or then you have to settle with short sympathetic messages with give you no answers.

3. DougTheBicycle

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    ^^^This.

The best I can say is maybe.

4. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    You sound ready.

Certainly, I'd say you deserve better than ex!

5. lancelot

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    When did the break up happen? I was on the same boat as you recently. Had a breakup about a month ago. This friend started emotionally approaching me a week after the breakup. At first I thought it was a good idea to snatch him because I was in so much pain and couldn't think clearly (I even told myself I was over my ex when I clearly wasn't now that I look back). Thanks to some EC users, I knew better than to jump into another relationship.
    Now that it's been a month since that happened, I'm relieved that I didn't just say yes to him because it wouldn't have given me enough time/space to appropriately process my grief (I'm still feeling it, but much better) or start working on my vulnerabilities and insecurities.
    Bottom line: If you are still grieving the breakup, it could mess with your mind. If you are not grieving any more for sure, only then should you take an action on your crush.

Hope that helped with your "Am I ready?" question..

6. RandGen

I don't really know what information would be relevant...

I broke up with him sometime early October I think, my emotions have been like a wave. Some days, I wouldn't miss him at all. On other days, I'd cry about him. I've been doing much better and I know how to manage my emotions so when it gets bad, I can break myself down and figure out why I'm feeling that way and fix it (in a non-temporary manner). I just can't predict when I'm going to stop grieving, if you've ever heard the song (and read the lyrics) of My Immortal by Evanescence, just know, I can totally relate to that song. We have a long history, I've known him for eight years, have been friends with him for six and was in a relationship with him for 2.25 years, "there's just too much that time cannot erase". So, it brings up the question, "will I ever stop grieving/get over him?" Several pages on the internet claim that guys can't ever truly get over someone.

TL;DR:
    How do I know when I'm done grieving? Can I predict when I'll finish grieving? Will I ever finish grieving?

#6 RandGen, Jan 26, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2016