1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So I went to the gym (not important/just ranting)

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by ImHappy247, Jan 26, 2016.

1. ImHappy247

Out Status:
    All but family
    Well I finally decided that since Im turning 18 next month it was time to get in a gym and do something with my life that made me feel like less of a loser so I got in yesterday and today was my second day but this is actually making me feel sooooo bad. I know this is probably the dumbest thread you guys will read today cause a)It will get better b)Everyone starts at some point c)Everyone had a first day/week d)Im already in the right path and stuff. But idk I guess itd be nice to hear it from someone else? To know that Im not the first person who starts going to the gym and has a hard time lifting a leaf and feels embarrassed in front of everyone and feels like the personal trainer is looking at him in a condescending manner. I am not even thinking like ''Im surrounded by hot people'' cause I feel too frustrated to be aroused. So thats pretty much it. If you could tell me how was your first week at the gym in case you went or go to one thatd be nice. Either way I wont give up so yup... Peace.

PS: The trainer is very cool he's actually not looking at me in any way it just feels that way cause Im not proud of my physical strength which is nonexistent.

2. Silver Sparrow

I definitely hear what you are saying. You are doing really well by getting into the gym. I definitely had a hard time as well every time I start working out or try a new exercise.

3. lovetoomuch

Hey there! I can definitely help you out with this as I have been going to the gym a decent amount for about two years and... can still lift only about a leaf -lol. I'm also a distance runner so it is hard to gain muscle when running so much, but it still feels weird going to the gym and benching a little over 100 pounds while other guys are putting up 200-300lbs and warming up with my weight.

But looking back, I did start at like 70lbs, so I have seen some improvement. As you said though, everyone starts somewhere. Trust me when I say this, people are not judging you. Everyone at the gym is so focused on themselves and getting their workout done that they don't care how much weight you are lifting.

When starting up at the gym, it is a very self conscious time. I would say put in some headphones and don't look around and worry that other people are judging you. If you make the gym a routine, you will begin lifting more and going will become a habit and you will not care what other people think.

Honestly, if I see someone obese trying to lose weight or someone really skinny trying to lift weights, I respect that person even more. They are trying to make a change in their physique, just like everyone else in a gym is trying to do.
    The guys at your gym who have the bodies of male models started somewhere, always remember that. Good luck and stick to it!

4. joshvolby

yup pretty much your 1st day at the gym is embarrassing or if not awkward. you were surrounded by this masculine and sexy guys in the gym but just think about it that they were just like you before and you will be just like them afterwards. believe me been there my first day at the gym really awkward people staring at me but hey just keep going ill be better after 2-3 months.

5. bluesky

Don't worry about other people. It's your first day at the gym and you're doing it for yourself. Good job to you! I know it's hard putting yourself out there, but it's a start and you have the right mind set. I'm proud of you! Just do you and work out correctly. Have a trainer help you or do some research online. You'll be alright. You have all the right mind set right now so i'm sure you'll go far!

6. DougTheBicycle

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Honestly, if I'm at the gym and I see someone who is just starting out, or is struggling a little bit but working their ass off, it's fucking inspiring. Nothing but respect.

Go you.

7. headsup1958

You've taken the first steps. Good for you. It will get easier as you progress. Soon it will become second nature for you and you won't want to miss a workout. And the reward is a better, fit body. Well, the fact that you will soon be eye candy to others won't hurt, either :slight_smile:

8. ImHappy247

Out Status:
    All but family
    Well my whole body aches right now BUT I do feel better about the whole thing and all of you have been very helpful so thanks a lot :slight_smile: Even people at the gym (regular people who are also doing their stuff) have helped me when I do something wrong so yeah Im already feeling more comfortable with the whole thing. So thanks and peace~