1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Emotions 101, aka, it's complicated

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by gasian, Jan 29, 2016.

1. gasian

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    hi people.
    Please bear with me, since I'm not all emotionally stable right now. The past few days have been a roller coaster for me academically, socially, and emotionally.

I had to cut off my feelings when I was in primary school, 7th grade to senior year. Sure, I let myself smile, I could cry, I could display emotions. But...I never let myself fall in love, I never let myself fall for a guy, or do anything involving "love." Everytime my friends and I played truth or dare, and they asked me who I liked, I picked some random female friend everybody knew that would make me look straight. They were all just friends, and nothing more. So I guess I'm a little emotionally stunted in the love department. Except...except for a few summer programs during high school. The first program was after sophomore year. I met this amazing guy, he was my roommate at an academic program. We had so much in common...except that I was gay and he was straight. I let myself develop feelings for him over that summer. Come junior year, I had to go back to high school, and consequently had to bury those feelings. After junior year was a different program, a different guy, and I had a tiny "crush" you could say, on him. Turns out he was a complete jerk who didn't respect my culture and the emphasis my family put on getting a good education. We tried to stay in contact, but around the end of fall semester senior year, he said a few things that I simply couldn't take, and we haven't talked since. Come spring term, I find out that I've been accepted into this amazing college, and guess who's also going to be there? Guy from the first summer program.

This summer was...interesting. I finally told some of my closest friends that I didn't like girls, and they were so accepting. I rode that high into college, and was finally free to be myself (it felt like I had wings that had been bound by heavy chains, and the chains were finally gone, and I could fly). I actually made good friends, friends who weren't going to judge me based off of me liking guys. And I reconnected with the guy I met at the summer program. The first four weeks of college, everything was good. I was finally out, I was taking challenging classes, I smiled at least every day out of sheer joy. I finally let myself think that I could love a little. Then...an event came.

My college has this weird tradition where during a full moon, everybody goes to a common place (if you know what this is, I'd prefer you not guess where I go), and makes out at midnight. In my idiocy, I asked the guy from the summer program to meet me before this tradition happened, right after a midterm we had both taken. I hinted at asking him if I could kiss him, and...he exploded. I had told him the week before college started, I was gay, and he said he wasn't, and everything was fine. We were both hanging out, things were happy. Then the night of the tradition, I hinted at asking him if I could kiss him, and things went up in a giant ball of fire. My logic behind asking to kiss him was that because I've got some bad food allergies, and he hates the foods that I can't eat, it would be a good first kiss, since I wouldn't have to be hospitalized. I never got to explain, and instead got a rant about how I had a "fixation" on him, and that I needed to grow up, and just stuff that really, really hurt. I ended up going to my dorm and crying for an hour.

This semester, last night actually, I was regretting ruining our friendship. So, I posted an apology on yik yak, that strongly hinted at who he was, and who i was, but nobody else would know. I'm not brave enough to tell him I'm sorry face to face, and I don't think an email or other form of communication would work. I ended up getting a comment on that post telling me to leave him alone (from I'm assuming him). When I read that comment, it felt like my chest was tightening, and turning where my heart was. End story.

I'll admit, I'm emotionally and also socially stunted. I don't know crap about social situations nor what all these new emotions are. I have questions though, that I'm hoping y'all can answer.

What's the difference between a fixation, a crush, and being in love? I've basically been saying that if I would jump in front of a gun for somebody, then I definitely love them, or at least care for them in a very strong manner. I wanted to keep up with the guy, so I tried to communicate with him every once in a while. Then, I later realized that what I was doing was kind of stalker-ish, so I stopped. It wasn't just random cliche stuff like favorite food, color ,etc. It was how was your day, which dorm were you assigned (when all the other freshman were super excited about it), are you excited to come to college. I'm captivated by his smile, his laugh, his sense of humor, the similarities and yet differences we share. I care about his heartbreaks, and wanted to comfort him when I heard of them.

What is this feeling I have? The feeling of my heart twisting and hurting when I saw the leave me alone message? The pain in my chest today and the sadness I feel? This...hurt, that makes me want to cry?

What is unrequited love?

How do I know that I'm "into" a guy, or if it's just a passing feeling?

How do I stop this "fixation" if it is a fixation?

I'm emotionally new to all of this. I don't know anything. I'm just now relearning how to romantically love, if that is even what you call it.

2. H20

H20

Dear Gasian,
    It sounds like you're facing a lot of confusion and stress right now. I can honestly say I've never been in love and I am younger than you, but I'm hoping what I say will still be helpful.

Everyone in life endures heartache and rejection and confusing infatuations and crushes. Within the LGBT community we also have to deal with other people's homophobia, insecurities, and I guess rage when they find out a gay person likes them. It sounds like to me he only acted out against you after you hinted at wanting to kiss him. He could have been scared, overwhelmed, you may have accidentally crossed a boundary, but he could also just be a jerk considering how he's handling this and frankly I can't see how you're in any way in the wrong. Since I don't personally know him I can't even recommend if apologizing to him in person would be better, but I can say he's most definitely worth your time since he's being inappropriately insensitive and disrespectful.

First of all you said he identifies as straight and therefore it's an impossible situation right there for you. I understand it's not easy, but the odds are really against this guy in terms of liking him and you should definitely move on.

As I interpreted this, this guy was your first love/crush, which some people have a hard time moving on from even if they no longer see that person in their life. It means something to them, like a fresh new perspective on life and your sexuality, it can be both amazing and horrible. Nonetheless I wouldn't call this a fixation, so no worries there bro.

To answer your other question about how to know if you're "into" a guy is actually hard as not all people experience lust or crushes in the same way. I can say from my personal experiences there have been few people that I've been infatuated with on an emotional level and sometimes I think I might still like them even though one person said my liking him was weird. But I knew I liked someone because:

a) I thought about them a lot even without them next to me
    b) I sometimes smiled or got giddy around them or when thinking about them
    C) I could picture myself kissing them
    D) I could see myself hanging out with them frequently in and out of school, with no one else around, and it was a different feeling than just being with a friend (and when I was alone with them it made me unexplainably happy and nervous)
    E) I would find any reason to be near them, not even necessarily within their group, because being closer to them in distance was better than not being around them.

I know these sound weird but this is all I can explain on how I've been into the few people I have, but I'm also inexperienced and young, so I'm not sure if this is relevant or helpful to your circumstances. Now you may not get over this right away or easily, but the best thing to do is keep reminding yourself why you're getting over him, and remind yourself how great a person you are. If someone doesn't want to be with you for whatever reason and if they aren't being respectful to you, then they are not worth your time. They don't deserve you. AT ALL. There will be someone eventually who will appreciate you for you. But I believe the key is for you to believe this about yourself as well in order for it to work.

Best wishes and good luck.