1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Depression is whooping my ass

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by TempUsername3, Jan 30, 2016.

1. TempUsername3

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I don't really know what to do. I just want to lay in bed and avoid the world but I have work. My friends keep messaging me and I just don't want to talk. I go to work and think about how badly I suck at my job and how I don't want to be there anymore but I need the money and its the only reason I get out of bed in the morning. I hate talking to people and I hate being around them. I just need to be alone for a while. I feel like maybe the meds aren't working anymore? I haven't even been on them for that long. Is that possible?

2. Ram90

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Whoops it's ass right back! I personally feel having positivity can go a long way. As stupid as it seems, try to feel happy at the smallest of things. Try to look for positivity in every instance. It will take time, but the result will be rewarding. Trust me. :slight_smile: (*hug*)

3. bingostring

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Its possible the meds aren't quite right - or at the right dose - for the task .. and maybe review with your doctor for his/her advice.

And get to talk to someone like a therapist or a good friend about things

4. Cort

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    It's good that you're are talking about depression like it is something that is outside of yourself - that's the right attitude to take!

Whenever I've had to deal with depression, I've always found that it helps to separate myself from it. Rather than saying "I am depressed", I would say "Depression is banging at the gates.'

It really is a war - but it's one that you can win.

Depression hates (1) fresh air, (2) exercise, (3) social contact, (4)healthy food and (5) sunlight. It will do anything and everything to avoid those five things. It will lie, it will bargain, and it will scream and yell.

Don't listen to it. Do those five things, regardless of how much Depression hates it. It may be difficult at first, but before long, the tide of the war turns - and when it turns, it turns fast.

#4 Cort, Jan 31, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2016
  5. ZestyLion

I'm on a similar boat. I have depression running in the family, and it is a constant struggle. You're never alone, and just keep going because you can do this (*hug*)

6. loveislove01

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I understand this situation. I've been in it for two years, and it comes right back to slap me in the face at random moments.

I agree- separating "you" from "depression" is already a great step. Now that you've acknowledged that, what will you do to try to get rid of it?

You've gotta keep yourself busy. Get out of bed, stay active, have goals and work towards them. Find an outlet. Something. And yes, it goes against everything depression stands for. Because you just don't care anymore- but eventually, just do it. Over time, it'll give you a purpose, and happiness. And even after time it'll come back, but you just have to do things. And it'll get better. It's the hardest thing, but it'll get better one day. Never give up :slight_smile:

Also- some things that may have an effect on depression. Are you eating well? Sleeping well? (Sleep's a huge one) Screen time has to be kept in control too, it can get addictive, and it makes things seem mundane..
    And speaking of mundane, one big thing that helped [me] was to break out of routine, bring spontaneity into life.

It's a battle, and sometimes you feel you win, but it comes back. We'll always fight it, but get through it. Eventually.

You can do it! :slight_smile:

7. TempUsername3

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    My friend reminds me as much as possible that I am more than the depression. They remind me that I was someone before the depression and I will continue to be someone long after its gone.

I've been getting out for work and if friends have something they wanna do I always say yes, being alone makes me feel terrible but being around them kinda makes me feel worse, I don't want them to worry about me when we're out and about.

Eating well... not so much, I think. Today my manager and my parents were complaining about how I haven't been eating enough but I eat until I feel full? I've been managing a good sleep routine with meds and on days where I have work the next morning I don't take the sleep meds because they leave me tired the next morning. I try to keep busy at work but my manager makes that pretty hard because she'd rather see me on my phone than helping my coworkers.

I am going to start counselling once the referral goes through and the paperwork is sorted. I think I do need to talk to my doctor about adjusting my meds though.

I think its hard to be positive on my own, I try but I only get so far. I think I may have to put up positive notes around my room.

Thanks for all your input guys. I'm gonna try my best to get better.