1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motivation for Working Out

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by HunterRaven, Feb 1, 2016.

1. HunterRaven

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I've been trying to get fitter lately, and work out some to build a little muscle but I'm finding it hard to keep my motivation up. I don't have a gym membership so I've working out from home. But between school, homework and study (I have college exams at the end of the year) I'm finding it hard to slot enough time in to work out long enough for me to feel it the day after. Any tips for keeping yourself motivated or making the time for yourself?

2. guitar

Honestly, having friends post their gains on facebook is usually just enough to get me off my butt. It's something you just have to put into your routine. I seldom will sit there and just watch youtube videos or netflix or something; I'll do that while working out. You can throw in 20 situps while you're in the middle of things.

3. bubbles123

bubbles123 Guest

Maybe set a certain time to do it: before homework right when you get home, perhaps in the morning if you have time and stick to it. Make it a priority, even if it's just for a little bit. Or maybe break it up and do say 15 minutes in the morning, 15 minutes later.

Make it something to look forward to, like set aside some cool exercise clothes and listen to music that you like or whatever would make it more enjoyable for you.

Maybe look up or make your own exercise plan and try to stick to it, set reminders on your phone.

Try a variety of exercises, even different things that might be more fun like jump roping or some wii exercise games if you have that (depending on what you want to work out), look up some other exercises you could do.

Good luck!

4. Everlong11

Out Status:
    Some people
    What worked for me was putting together a definite idea of how the things I was doing at the gym lead to the goals I wanted to accomplish. Like doing x exercises y times means that if I keep at it, I can hope to be this much stronger at the end of the month, and that kind of thing. And then actually seeing myself achieve those goals according to plan. That sense of intentionally achieved progress is just such a great motivator.

But I dunno. Maybe you could also try getting yourself into a workout that's genuinely physically challenging like you could fully concentrate just on that and feel satisfied when you're done, if you're not already doing that. As a form of stress relief, I mean. I'm a college student too, and with studying and life and everything, I think it's nice having all my immediate problems reduce to something purely physical a few times a week when I'm lifting weights.

5. joshvolby

get a gym membership that's better than doing it alone. i tried doing it alone in my room but it sucks, then i get a gym membership i work out 2-3 hours and meet people. sometimes the gym owner let me handle new members to do the basics its more fun. seeing sexy guys is just a plus for me :grin:

study should be the priority, do your homework/s as early as possible then go to the gym, you dont have to go to the gym everyday it should be every other day or when you have less or no homework. spend 1-2 hours since you are studying its best to do work out at night. make your own personal work out plan.

I.e
    Monday: chest and biceps
    Wednesday: shoulders and legs
    Friday: back and triceps

#5 joshvolby, Feb 2, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2016
  6. Elli

I personally like being challenged and getting kind of mad always gets me motivated, so I think of how I definitely don't want to be weak and how I want to show myself and everybody else how I can do what I set my mind to.
    Thinking about how I'm gonna impress everyone in summer because of all the squats, situps etc.

(Even though I just do it because my shoulders, knees etc are really weak so I need muscles to support them :lol: )

Oh, and like another poster said, you can just kind of do it while doing something else. I like to do sit ups while watching something or at least do the rest while listening to music.

#6 Elli, Feb 2, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2016
  7. Jellal

You too can be like One Punch Man if you never give up.

Is that enough motivation for you?!