1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Depression

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Anonymous132, Feb 3, 2016.

1. Anonymous132

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    (Probably posted on here all the time but i didn't know where else to turn).

Something I've coped with for about 2/3 years now is this periodic thing where I'll feel really down for 3 months or so and then i'll be fine again for ages. But recently I've hit a new level and i just don't know how to cope with it anymore. This down period has lasted over 6 months and its so much more intense then it ever has been before. My mind just thinks constantly about the purpose of doing everything and the the world is boring etc. all the time. I'm not exaggerating when i say that. Literally all the time. It's gotten so bad now it's beginning to affect my Uni work and i just dont know how to get out of it. I have a meeting with a Counsellor/Advisor soon and they also said to see a doctor if i can, so i've booked that. But the waiting lists are so long for those things and i can feel myself slipping into a worse and worse state each day and i just want it to stop. It's gotten to the point where i just find it hard to see the benefits of being alive anymore. Well i dont know what the point of this post is but if anyone has any help or has been through something similar just let me know or something.

(Should probably say there's a lot more to it than just this, like this doesn't really even scratch the surface on what i think about but i thought i'd spare you about 300 pages)

Anon.

#1 Anonymous132, Feb 3, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2016
  2. H20

H20

Hello!

I can honestly say I've gone through this since elementary school and it's a killer. I can probably guarantee you have clinical depression and if you see a doctor they'll probably put you on antidepressants, but I've heard people say this doesn't do it for them. It only works so much. Some people try meditation or exercise, but personally I write to get through all my muck. I write everything down, especially when I'm feeling depression or sluggish. My thoughts, my feelings, my experiences, why this makes me feel like this, etc. It's not easy to do, especially not for anyone who's not a fan of writing, but it really, really, really works. It's a form of releasing all your emotions that your mind is suppressing or penting up inside. It's what a lot of people need - a release. Another thing I'd recommend would be maybe finding time alone and just stand in front of a mirror and talk to yourself. It sounds crazy, but I've done this and the only person you have to worry about judging you is yourself. You can figure out what you're feeling and why, or you can just ramble on. Very theraputic.

Overcoming depression is overcoming the obstacles your own brain is setting up against you. Even when you feel like there's no point or when everything seems wrong, trying to understand this can really help you learn how to cope. Perhaps the only thing wrong with you is a low serotonin level which is basically a happy hormone in your brain. If your brain can't produce enough serotonin, you get all blah and unhappy.

If nothing else, you could just buy a notebook and write a list of what all good has happened to you on that day. If nothing happened, write down a good memory of your childhood or something else. If it's a really bad day, just open up the notebook and look back on these happy events. I do a lot of things like this and you can find a lot of coping skills like this online. If you're dealing with insecurities or low self-esteem as well, you can write down compliments in a notebook, something you believe about yourself or something someone else has said about you, but I admit that one is extremely difficult and even I can't really do this despite having a fondness for writing. But many coping skills do include writing or listing compliments for yourself or listing good memories, whether aloud to yourself or on paper. But on paper or even a word document, you can save these and have them for when you're going through a really difficult time and i can't tell you how often this stuff helps me in my life.

Overall though, I can say I go through everything you do even to the point of having a difficult time concentrating and working, and just feeling completely disinterested in everything and unmotivated. The goal to get through this is simply to find an outlet. Like I mentioned, exerise is also good. Try walking or biking if possible. Meditation, yoga I hear works. Soothing music. There's all sorts of things.

Best regards!

3. Lit

Lit

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    My depression is periodic too and sometimes my thoughts can get so dark & suicidal for months. Being in the closet certainly doesn't help.

What stops me every time is the fact that I want to see my life through until fate decides that it's my time to go. I don't want suicide to be the end of me.

Don't wait for the counselors - talk to your friends and keep talking HERE.

#3 Lit, Feb 6, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2016
  4. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's very hard coping with depression and when you are at university (especially one far from home) it can seem even more daunting. Sometimes we can identify the reasons for the depressed feelings, sometimes we can't -- either way you have made a start by arranging to see a counsellor and your doctor and I hope this marks the beginning of a process of healing and getting better.

Many UK universities have a Nightline http://nightline.ac.uk/ and it might be an idea to contact them for support if you are really struggling or even contact the Samaritans in confidence at any time. You don't have to give your name and you can even write, if you prefer. Here is a link to Samaritans website: Samaritans | Samaritans

Take a look at this website for UK students with depression too. It has some useful pages and information that may help you: Students Against Depression

The most important thing is to talk about how you are feeling, rather than bottling it up and see it spiral out of control. If you would like to send me a private message I'm happy to try to help.

5. Anonymous132

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Thank you, i managed to see the doctor today and spoke through some options, one of which is that they would want to put me on medication and they also think that talking to someone would be helpful for me. I do understand and take on board what you guys have said to me, but if you've been through it all you'd know its unfortunately not that easy. But thanks again.

And i do write, i've been keeping a book of thoughts for a long time now but part of it all getting worse is that, that doesnt seem to help me anymore

#5 Anonymous132, Feb 6, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2016