1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I don't really enjoy reading anymore

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by PennyT, Feb 4, 2016.

1. PennyT

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    A little over a week ago, I realized that I might be gay. Since then, reading has become boring. For me, this is bizarre. Since I was thirteen, reading, especially fanfiction, has been a large part of my life. It's what I do when I'm bored, when I have free time, when I don't have free time, etc. Now it feels like I've lost all interest. If a good fic updates, I might read it, but it's been four days, which is basically a record for me. Does anyone know why this might be?

2. tmhjdg

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    When I first realized I was gay, similar things happened to me. I wasn't interested in video games as much as before, I wasn't satisfied with any of my regular hobbies - bored and restless all the time.

I believe it is because suddenly you realize your life is a little more interesting than you once thought, and now you want to explore the possibilities that this brings. Not being a social person, it took me a long, long time to go out and meet people. The boredom comes from not knowing what to do with your "new life." At least that's how I feel, in hindsight. =)

3. Invidia

Invidia Guest

Far above the clouds, gazing deep below the Earth
    It'll be okay, dear. (*hug*) You've got a lot on your mind, it's only natural you might lose some interest in your favorite activities for a while.

4. guitar

You know, I never really thought about it but the exact same thing happened with me as well for quite some time when I discovered I was gay.

5. Bibliovian

Wow. I also never thought about it either, but the same thing happened to me, and I haven't really gotten back into it as of yet. But I try.

6. CharacterStudy

Could you have been reading to avoid thinking about things - such as your orientation? Reading can provide a valuable escape when you are stressed and anxious, but they do fill your brain up in a way you might like when there is something you are avoiding thinking about.

Also now you know more about yourself, maybe you are realising the dearth of really decent stories which are relevant to you.

7. Feelunique

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    What an awesome comment. I always loved reading. I tended to do it heavily or not for awhile at a time. Looking back between losses or worries I would bury myself and disconnect with reading completely and then drop it for a time when things were "OK"