1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to not become a snob?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by IDont Say Aboot, Feb 4, 2016.

1. IDont Say Aboot

Okay, some background on this first, I am in grade 10 and next year I am planning to go into the IB program. It's basically high school where you go deeper and also get university credits, and it's a really prestigious program. The problem is I have seen many people who are amazing go and do something prestigious and then get a higher-than-thou attitude to anyone not part of that. I have always had problems with feeling superior to other people, so I will absolutely not be an exception to that if I don't figure out a plan. I guess I'm just asking for any tips on how to remember that I'm still no better than other people just because I'm taking this program? I already did that once, although to a lesser extent, when I entered the advanced program... And I lost the majority of the friends that I had made at school. I'm back to normal now, but I think that IB will be an even harder thing to resist that with.

Thanks in advance for any tips!:icon_bigg

2. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Try to think rather than being among the "chosen people" that instead you have been given an incredibly generous gift. The more you accomplish, the more thankful you may be, rather than lording over others how it's all because of you. Not to mention that intelligence and advanced classes do not make one successful. The end of school is when it gets real. That's when you've got to either put up or shut up. I'm at that point right now, after being told my entire life that I would do well. It's not a guarantee.

And another, there's the scenario where you have two acquaintances: a theoretical physicist and a plumber. Sure, the former is probably among the top 1% of intellects in the world, has taken tons of years of schooling, and knows the secrets of the universe. But which one would you want living next door when you have a problem with your pipes? Everyone deserves respect. :slight_smile:

#2 Argentwing, Feb 4, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2016
  3. plant

We have the IB program at my school so I understand where you are coming from. What annoys me about those people at my school is their tendency to talk anyone about their inside jokes from their classes, to the point where it's difficult to have a conversation with them about anything else. I think that it's important to understand that people are worth more than their intellect, and they have other attributes and interests outside of education. I'm not sure how helpful that was, but that's my 2 cents.