1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do you get to know a person you never met before?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by GrayAkashi, Feb 6, 2016.

1. GrayAkashi

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I know it may sound silly, but for real. How do you get to know a person you never met before?

There's a guy in my school who sparked my interest. It's not like I have a crush on him, because I don't even know if he is gay or not. Buuut, he seems chill, smart and awesome. He also is very athletic, which I'm not lol. And I just can't get him out of my head. We only attended some class together over a year ago, but never spoke. He didn't really seem like the type to speak a lot anyway. He was never loud between his schoolmates.

Anyway the thing is I tried adding him on facebook, which he obviously denied, and before he asked: Hey, do we know each other.
    He does this to everyone as my friend (whos a girl) tried adding him and had the same response, and some other people too. I guess he just doesn't like to be bothered.

So not only did I fail to get to know him, now I'm also gonna bury myself in the ground whenever I see him at school. I'm probably gonna blush or feel ashamed, as I'm probably "that guy" who added him on fb. xD Not to mention I'll probably try to avoid eye contact and hit a wall or something (yup happened before)...

Anyway, how do you get up to a person and meet them? It's college so there's not a lot of obvious groups like in high school. Everyone seems to talk a bit only during the classes then go do their own stuff etc. And it's not like in high school, where there weren't so many people. I still remember how I wanted to hang out with some girl just because she looked really cool, and I wrote her, later we discovered we like the same band and started talking and stuff.

Ty for help.

2. lovetoomuch

Hey there, it's a tough situation. Adding a random stranger will likely always get that response because most people will only accept people they know. I did the same thing a few months ago and the guy denied my request. I actually messaged him after that letting him know I wasn't trying to be some creep and we had a few small conversations. It didn't turn into anything, but I figured it was worth a try.

Quite honestly, to talk to him, you will likely have to step out of your comfort zone. Maybe if you run into him, you could ask something like "What major are you, I think we had classes together in the past?" or "Hey, you were in my class right? That class was terrible." Small talk would hopefully lead to more of a conversation. If it doesn't, then you know he really isn't interested in being friends and you can move on.

I think it is a better route than social media. There is only so much you can say over social media and I believe it leads to awkwardness. I only messaged the guy over social media because that's how I came across him and we didn't attend the same school (I now realize how lame this sounds lol). Anyways, if you are willing to take a little of a risk, do it! Best of luck.

3. GrayAkashi

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Now that you mention it, I remember I'd do the same thing, not accept people I know personally. The only reason I have so many of them now is because we made fb account long time ago when we were kids and everyone was adding each other.

Uh, I feel stupid now, thinking I'd get any response anyway.

Guess I'll try and talk to him if I see him on college. Maybe we have some classes together upcoming semester. Tho it's gonna be awkward since he'll be with his classmates. Xd

#3 GrayAkashi, Feb 7, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2016
  4. GrayAkashi

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Hey again. Wasn't on the site for 3 weeks or so and I thought I'd get some more answers.

Kinda embarassing, but bumping the thread.
    If anyone else knows any good advice. Xp ty