1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lowering Expectations

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by lastking, Feb 7, 2016.

1. lastking

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I know having lower expectations is the key to happiness. What are some ways of lowering expectations when it comes to dating and relationships?

2. YesHomo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I would recommend not having too many preferred character traits. You can still have standards (don't just settle for ANYTHING) but don't be too picky.

If someone you are dating has traits you would deem undesirable, try to ignore them by focusing on what you like about them. For example if you prefer people with blonde hair and brown eyes, and you are with someone who has brown hair and brown eyes; only focus on the brown eyes. You can choose to ignore things consciously and this will lower your expectations.

But don't give up on yourself either. Still get with someone who you are attracted to emotionally and physically because if you just don't like the person, the relationship won't go anywhere.

3. gibson234

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I disagree, I think it's about not focusing on superficial things like height or eye colour and instead focusing on what kind of person they are.

4. foxer

Yes. What matters the most is not what's on the surface but what goes inside our minds.

'That said lowering standards on some things might be a good idea, but never be on a relationship / friendship you don't like. Saying no is always possible, as is saying yes.

Live you life. It's not that serious - F̪̭̠̪̪̃̌́ͤͩ͢ǒ͑̓͏̹̯x̩̳̞͋̍̎̆̓̄e̘̙̝̝̼̣̊ͫr̡̜͔͂

5. Billy the kid

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I meet someone I was not really physically attracted to and I started to like them a lot. I fell in love with them and all of their imperfections went away. A beautiful mind is so much more attractive. Someone you connect with is worth more than a perfect body.

That being said, if you can find a few nice attractive features on someone focus on that. Just try and keep an open mind and give yourself more options. I think it is more psychological than anything. Having good hygiene is attractive, good breath nice teeth, well groomed.

Don't know if that will help you any but good luck!

6. lastking

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Thanks for your advice. Yes, not relying on physical looks and instead focusing on someone's personality is a good start. However, I've met plenty of guys who were decent looking and I really loved their personality because we connected on a more deeper level, yet things still didn't work out. So it's hard to say.

Therefore, just because you have a lot in common with someone and you connect really well, doesn't mean things will always work out. I think that in itself, can be an expectation.

#6 lastking, Feb 7, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2016