1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are you afraid of physical violence?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by The Falcon, Feb 8, 2016.

1. The Falcon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Maybe this thread isn't for this section so feel free to move it...

I am just wondering if anyone has had any experience with physical abuse, being attacked because one is gay or something? Has someone's coming out process has been heavily influenced by the fear of being attacked/abused/violated...

2. Hint

No replies yet? For shame! Yeah but no, its' a very real danger that disproportionately affects transgendered/ or gay/bisexual/pansexual individuals.
    Stupid antitrans violence! Why can't we/they be attacked only as much as 'regular' people, no less, and no more? *coughs* not that... violence itself is ever a good thing *coughs*

Unfortunately that's the extent of my knowledge (new member to EC and entirely new to being openly trans/pansexual).
    I have questions too, like: Does the risk of violence against you for being transgendered /non-binary or non-hetero go down after you've been 'out' for a while and people, your friends know & can support you, and have gotten to know you better after the fact (even if it initally goes up after coming out)?

3. PatrickUK

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I experienced it at school and I know how badly it affected my confidence. Without a doubt it made me wary of coming out to people and I really had to dig very deep the first few times I told people outside of my close circle of family and friends. I'm sure it's a fear that sits in the back of the mind of most LGBT people because we know how hateful some elements within society can be towards our community. All the more reason for us to stand together.

4. Ryuji35

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I didn't experienced physical violence because of my gayness. But I did suffer emotional abuse. Maybe that's the reason why I'll choose physical over emotional pain any day (but of course, I don't want any kind of pain!)