1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Depression is gone, but I'm way more anxious

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Vav, Feb 8, 2016.

1. Vav

Vav Guest

About five days ago I got way more anxious. Stupid conspiracies and harmless comments made me super anxious. A few days after that my depression suddenly disappeared. I feel like a kid again. I also have way more energy and motivation. I can easily get out of bed now. I'm also in a huge rush to get things done. I'm scared this is hypomania.

2. Eye Shine

The definition of hypomania does contain a lot of what you are providing however, it does not contain a few things. You haven't mentioned racing thoughts (in this post), a lack of need for sleep which is emphasized, or a heightened sense of creativity and power. It may be hypomania or it may not. I am not doctor so I can't give you a diagnosis and I wouldn't trust an internet diagnosis. Additionally, if you look up a condition on the internet mos of the time people get paranoid about i and that clouds there judgement. Either way I suggest seeing a doctor if possible. I know this may be a scary, but you got this!

3. Monraffe

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have struggled a lot with depression and have been fortunate enough to avoid GAD up to this point, but I have known people who have had both. I definitely think they can be related. A lot of dealing with yourself, and this goes for anyone, comes from acceptance. The idea that we all must look for cures to what ails us ironically often makes the problem worse. We need to find compromises as well as solutions and sometimes we loose site of that. It should not be surprising when one problem goes away another one moves in to take its place. Such is life. So, anyway, back to your problem. Let's say you are driving on a road along a mountainside and you are feeling very relaxed when all of the sudden you see a big pile of rocks in the road and you have to swerve very close to the edge of the cliff to avoid them. No one would blame you for getting anxious in that moment. You wouldn't get mad at yourself for being anxious in that moment. It would all seem very natural. GAD is exactly the same thing only the anxious moments come when someone speaks loudly near you or a car door slams of even if someone just smiles at you. In GAD, anxious moments happen all the time and for non-threatening reasons. Almost oppositely, depression is a form of shutting down as a way to protect oneself from an extreme threat. It is like a circuit breaker activating to stop all activity and thus protect the person from harm. No one would blame someone for getting depressed over the death of a close relative. But in my depression, I get depressed over the most mundane things and it happens all the time. As absurd as it sounds, my suicide attempt was triggered by a faulty digital clock. So it is easy to distinguish between normal anexiety and the disorders they become when they are extreme, but in reality it is much more complicated than that. There is a lot of area in between and it isn't uncommon for people to wonder if they maybe are crossing the line at times. The thing is there is no line. All of these actions and reactions are intensely personal and have to be dealt with at the personal level. I definitely think it is worth looking into and not just ignoring hoping it will go away or get better on its own. It probably won't, not all the way anyway. Seek the advise of a therapist if you can and continue to discuss these feeling with friends for their feedback. Good luck on your journey, I wish you the best.

#3 Monraffe, Feb 11, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2016