1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Grandad was diagnosed with cancer.

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by FoxEars, Feb 10, 2016.

1. FoxEars

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    My life is falling apart, like walls crumbling around me. Now, my Grandad, this time on my mother's side, had been diagnosed with "the Big 'C'," as he calls it. All I know right now is that he has cancer, the type of cancer and whether it is life threatening or not is all but missing in my knowledge on the subject. The fact that I don't know is painful, it's almost like I need to know now because I don't want to go through it all again- knowing that they're suffering is sometimes harder to handle than knowing that their suffering is nearly over. He had so much planned, and now all his ambitions may be on their way down the drain.
    What is the best type of thing to say to him in this case? I want him to know that I care, and I desperately need to comfort him while I know he can respond. I don't want to lie again, I don't want to tell someone that they're in their own bed in their own home when really they are in care- when they're really in poor care.

#1 FoxEars, Feb 10, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2016
  2. Eye Shine

I would suggest to just be there for him and listen to him. Let him know that you care about him, you love him, and you are there for him if he needs it. I would find that if I was in your grandpa's situation that I would want everyone to go about their days as usual. I wouldn't want everything to change. I would wish for the old times before cancer, That's why I think casual conversations and letting him know you love him may be the best thing in this case.
    I hope this helps you in some way. Good luck champ!

3. Gay1234

I would also suggest the same advice as Eye Shine. Your grandad would not like ye to be bogged down with this just like what was said above.

I'm really sorry about what's happening in your family. Just be hopeful that it is not life threatening and that it is removable.

Good Luck,
    Gay1234

4. Confusedmoose

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Oh Foxears I am so sorry! You have had such a tough time lately. Eye Shine's advice was really good. (*hug*) <3

5. FoxEars

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I failed to mention this before in my panic, but the problem is that he lives in Japan. The only way I can contact him is through facebook and I've no idea what to say. When you're with the person, sometimes the words flow naturally, but in this case I can't talk to him face to face.

6. Confusedmoose

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    could you not do a facebook video chat (or would that not be feasible)? If you can't just ask him how he is and take it from there. Let him know you love him and you're thinking of him. I'm sure the fact that you are taking the time to email him will be comforting.

7. FoxEars

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    The different time zones make it hard to talk in real time, I'll ask him how he is and follow yours and other's advice.

8. Confusedmoose

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    oh that makes sense. Yeah I'm sure that if you do that he'll be comforted.