1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anti-Trans Ideas Flooding The Internet And Society

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Robert, Feb 11, 2016.

1. Robert

Robert Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I dont know about you guys but I am seeing a lot of anti-trans and anti-feminist reactionary attitudes flooding the internet lately.
    When I first started on the internet the main political issue which was discussed was religion/atheism but now we have seemingly moved on from that and in to the territory of anti-trans (and anti-feminism - which I am mentioning because I feel it ties in with the anti-trans attitudes we are seeing). This manifests itself in a number of ways - some more subtle than others... Examples of this include videos such as (trigger warning btw) this and comments against safe spaces, triggering as a concept, checking privilege and even more simplier issues like trans people being allowed to use the bathroom which belongs to their gender (something which was criticized in Season 18 Episode 3 of South Park "The Cissy").

I just really think that this is disgusting state of affairs and I'm growing increasingly worried that these attitudes are becoming more and more the norm in society as a whole. I have even seen people on this forum exhibit such attitudes - which I guess is to be expected as we are all learning here and some of us are at different stages.

What are your experiences with anti-trans sentiment?
    What do you guys think we should do about this? Is there anything we can do?

---------- Post added 11th Feb 2016 at 09:28 AM ----------

Ooops. Maybe this should be in the Gender Identity forum? I will leave it to the mods to decide.

#1 Robert, Feb 11, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2016
  2. Secrets5

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I didn't watch the video, just letting you know.

Why I am anti-feminist? I believe in gender equality, but I simply do not want to be associated with that group. It's similar to believing without belonging from religion. I believe in GE but I feel I have very different views on GE than feminists. Now, I know you're all going to say to be "not all feminists are man-hating" - I know that, but I'd rather not get involved with the people who are. I think the only feminist's values I can get along with is Emma Watson; she actually discusses men and women being equal (rather than just a 'cover' comment). Now if only I could talk to her about equality of NB.

Anti-trans? I'm not, maybe we could have it so that if someone's passport correlates to the bathroom they are going in, then they can go in that regardless of their sex. I fear that cis people might take advantage of real trans people's issue, and use the bathroom of the opposite sex when they aren't that gender - but since you need a doctor's letter to change the passport, then it will show who is really trans and who is not. Children can get this changed from as young as 6 I've seen so for the future of recognition it doesn't sound too bad - especially since children usually can go into bathrooms of opposite sex until the age of 7 since if they need to be with a parent.

3. Triode

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Anti-trans? What do you mean? If that video is anything to go by it is just pointing out the stupidity of Buzzfeed. I'm quite sure every person in modern society (UK atleast) doesnt mind anyone from the LGBT communtiy. How do I know this: I was outed in school (a couple times) and no-one really gives a flying f. And I mean no one.

What does a movement of people who earn about £30k+per year complaining on Twitter, Tumblr and most media outlets have to do with trans people?

I'm quite sure - although typically a part of the 'feminist' 'movement' - trans people have nothing to do with them. One is a basically a big moaning barrage while the other is people wishing to change their gender.

What purpouse do trigger warning serve for video's online? People dying sure, excessive gore sure but a video online of a guy talking about a stupid article on a clickbait website?

Before you say that the subject is somewhat challenging etc. get real. If you are in a prone state are you going to go searching this kind of stuff? Why not watch a few wish-wash comedy movies with innocent humour?

Let me remind you its a video online discussing a bad article. Not a horrific act of discrimination. Criticism is not discrimination.
    What, is criticism of a web atricle trans hate?

On the subject of safe spaces, they're stupid. Why would you want a place where you dont want to be confronted in your opinions? If you find yourself in a situation like that, why are you there in the first place? If your university/collage is debating strong subjects, and you're really sensitive towards them, why attend?
    Triggers are valid in some cases, getting triggered by a video isnt.

Assuming that CheckMyPrivilege is a valid measure of privilege, I'm extremly opressed apparently, with a score of -425. Even though I'm sitting in a house, fed and with tap water.

But no, seriously, how do you check it, and what does privileged have to do with anything?
    Jokes? Ever heard of them? They're not suppose to be taken seriously?

Plus South Park is known to be a quite offensive show, why watch it if you know that thats what it does?
    I have an idea: How about we firstly create a government funded force that looks out for people being vaguely offensive towards anyone in LGBT or women?

Then any of those people get sent to a facility in which they're retrained and punished, preferably on a very uncomfortable train with loads of other people, standing.

#3 Triode, Feb 11, 2016
  4. cheqckerz

cheqckerz Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I've noticed the same pattern. I haven't experienced a lot of anti-trans sentiments irl, but have come across a tonne of stuff on the internet. It gives less tolerant people a place to vent, bolsters their ego when people reply. I watched the video and can understand where the guy's coming from on some of the points, but to angrily shout at an audience about it like he's as outraged as he is, is just a little over the top. Jeez, like, there are actual crap things that are going on in the world that are more important to be angry about, ya know?

What can we do... I think just the same as minority groups have always done and just stand up for ourselves, and each other. Protest for rights. There are always going to be bigots. People who are woman-hating, trans-hating, homophobic, etc. But... things can change a lot over time. There's a massive shift going on, that's seen people in these minority groups gain more exposure and equal rights, so I see videos like that and other forms of hate as a backlash, I guess.

#4 cheqckerz, Feb 11, 2016