1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I need help with this christian pastor psychiatrist!!

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by soner, Feb 15, 2016.

1. soner

Out Status:
    A few people
    Hi so I came out to my sister and she didn't take it so well and one day she told I should talk to this NORMAL psychiatrist so I can express myself a bit more and I found out the psychiatrist is a pastor! ugh! I'm so sick of everyone in my family trying to cure me I might be confused of my sexuality but I'm so sick of this the lady is very nice and all but I can tell that she wants to "fix me" she keeps asking if my dad was present in my life and why I don't hang out with guys I'm just I need to get out of this mess we facetime every Monday at 2pm how can I kindly tell her I don't wanna facetime her anymore I dont wanna come off as rude you know? please help me! I'm not sure what to do! I knew I shouldn't have trusted my sister :frowning2:

2. Elli

Just politely tell her that you do not want to continue this "therapy" anymore.
    Should she ask why, well it's your personal business or if you want to tell her why, just do. Tell her that it's not a disease. Love can't be "cured", and you don't think whatever she does is working.

As long as you're careful and polite it'll be fine, I'm sure of it

3. Aspen

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Say something to the effect of "Thanks for your time but I'm not interested in pursing this." If you were looking for a new doctor and you didn't mesh well with one, you should feel perfectly comfortable moving on to someone else. It shouldn't be any different here. Therapeutic alliance is important and if you don't want to continue seeing a mental health professional--no matter what the reason--you have that right and all professionals should know that.

It isn't rude. You're not friends; this is a kind of business relationship. It's perfectly fine for you to say that this isn't what you need.

I hate to say this but are you sure she's a licensed psychiatrist?

4. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If the pastor is actually a therapist (doubtful but possible) then s/he should recognize that the goal of therapy is not to change you, but to help you accept and love yourself.

Whether or not s/he is doesn't really matter. What does matter is that you have the right to choose who you share your feelings with. You might just say something like "I appreciate your time, but I'm just not feeling a connection here and I'd like to stop."
    Nothing more should be necessary.

You may need to make it very clear to your sister that you appreciate her concern but will appreciate it more if she accepts you as you are.

5. soner

Out Status:
    A few people
    Thank you guys very much! I appreciate you guys for responding i was a bit nervous to say something rude to the therapist but now i know what to say thank you

6. vortices

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    A psychiatrist is an MD who deals with mental health and can treat patients with medication. If she doesn't hold an MD, she is not a psychiatrist. A psychologist is someone with a PhD or a PsyD that can treat patients, but without medication.

So if this pastor/psychiatrist doesn't hold an MD, she is NOT a psychiatrist. I just hope this isn't one of those conversion therapy types, and if you're old enough, please seek and find an LGBT affirmative psychologist if one exists in your area.

7. Mitchell

Hello,

I'm not sure where you are located or if you have medical insurance... although if you contact your insurance company, it is worth looking to see if they can help you by providing a directory of therapists or what not that are covered under your medical insurance.

In my case, my insurance company participates in an online directory, you punch in your insurance policy stuff and it gives a directory. With mine, there IS a category having to do with LGBT.

Why Facetime? Why not meet with someone face to face? It's much more personal and, at least for me, more comfortable, to meet with the provider in their office or what not.