1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gay Bars

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Jerad1234, Feb 15, 2016.

1. Jerad1234

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I've always justified not going to gay bars. I didn't want to deal with the scene. But, I'm in a small town, and I can't help but wonder if I'm passing up the one opportunity to find guys who don't congregate on hook up apps, or if I'm truly avoiding drama.

Experiences and thoughts are appreciated.

2. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There should be nothing to be afraid of at a gay bar. Some are a bit of a scene, others are not. You will find all types. Whenever I travel, I always stop in the local gay bar. It's a great way to meet people locally and get to know a bit about the area.

You should not feel any pressure to talk with anyone, nor participate in the scene. Simply go, relax, have a drink (club soda for me thanks) and people watch if that's all your into.

If there is a local place, you might find you get to know the regulars and then become more comfortable going.

3. Jerad1234

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Interesting...I've always thought if I wasn't bubbling with social vivacity....I'd get nothing out of it. Didn't think it's okay to just people watch. You may have helped me!!

4. AAASAS

I've been to one gay bar, for like 30 minutes with my boyfriend and his friend. Pretty basic, friendly people...etc nothing special.

I'm pretty sure apps have more of the population, and honestly I feel like a lot of people go to gay bars just to fuck someone, not to meet someone for a relationship.

#4 AAASAS, Feb 16, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2016
  5. Jerad1234

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    You are suppose to say they are vibrant places full of interesting people so I man up and go!

6. AKTodd

Gay bars come in all shapes and sizes and types. It varies with where you are and the local culture of the population (LGBT and straight) where you live.

There can be giant dance clubs, which may be more of the 'scene' you are talking about. There can also be places that are practically indistinguishable from a straight dive bar, including pool tables, dart board,s and teams that play both, except for the pictures on the walls. And everything in between.

Generally bars are most busy on Friday and Saturday night, although that's not a 100% certain. Some run specials or special events from drag shows or strippers to charity auctions for some cause or other. You can probably find out what they may have going on by seeing if they have a website. Don't pay too much attention to the boilerplate naked guy photos on the website - they don't tell you anything about what the bar itself is like, mostly. Although some bars may post photos of events they've done in the past, which may give you a better idea.

If you go and someone flirts or hits on you, don't be offended just because someone has bothered to find you attractive. If its not serious, flirt back or say something nice but non-committal like 'thank you'. If you aren't interested, turn them down politely (I'm just checking the place out tonight) and move on. Being polite costs almost nothing and can pay dividends later. There can be a sort of community in the bars and if you make a good impression they can either point you to someone you might like or warn you off of someone you might be best avoiding. Although realize gay men love gossip and keep that in mind when judging things.

Note that its not uncommon for people to flirt or engage in fairly direct 'locker room talk' without it actually meaning anything other than just talk. Don't get freaked out by it, if you're not used to that.

Hope this helps,

Todd

7. Jerad1234

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Well...except that guys will be on full on flirt patrol. Social anxiety...stranger danger...!! Thank you.

8. Jerad1234

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    If one goes during happy hour, would it be safer to say it will be a more subdued environment conducive to conversation. Dimly lit, crowded and loud....is so not me!!

---------- Post added 18th Feb 2016 at 09:40 AM ----------

I think I just answered my own question. My therapist would be so proud!

9. Jerad1234

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I went to a gay bar, and I didn't die. It wasn't amazing, but it didn't suck. So, there it is....I think I got to go a few more times. Either fall in love with or give up on gay bars after I give them a fair shake.

10. Jerad1234

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    So, when you start going to gay bars...realize there isn't much going on to pique your interest...then what do you do? How do you meet other gay people outside of the bar setting?

11. Seahawksfan

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Gay bars are good you got the girls in the club the. You got the guys some are straight some are gay like us but the atmosphere is usually nice and friendly and hot guys hitting on you is a plus

12. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If there are LGBT social organization in your area, try getting involved in those. I participate in an LGBT athletic league by me which meets several times a week (I only go once a week).
    Consider Art groups, writing groups, even walking groups if your area has them.

Consider volunteering or getting involved with an LGBT charity. I participate in several organizations and interact regularly with people through them.

Just go about life as you normally do. I am frequently amazed at how often I meet others just on a daily basis.

13. Jerad1234

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Believe me I searched high and low for gay specific social groups. There are none...:frowning2:

14. AKTodd

You don't say where you are in Wisconsin, or how old you are, but a bit of googling turned up the following:

Milwaukee Gay Sports Network

which seems to be something of a clearinghouse for various LGBT sports groups in Milwaukee. And another one HERE.

Then there's this directory for Madison.

Here's a larger directory that touches on a lot of organizations, some of which may be of interest to you or point you in the direction of other groups you might be interested in.

Here is a more general directory of groups and organizations in Wisconsin, not all relating to sports.

And here's another that is apparently related to an LGBT center that might be able to point you at various things or resources and groups in your area.

There may be others, but this should get you started.

Hope this helps,

Todd:slight_smile:

15. Kinky

Kinky Guest

I don't go to any bar at all. Just because the thought of having to put on clothes, carrying your passport, withdrawing some cash, getting in the bus, standing in the waiting lines exhausts me.
    Yay for stay at home.

16. Wolfie0001

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've lived in the Phoenix, Arizona area for several years, and there were plenty of gay bars to choose from, for all kinds of tastes. Personally, I preferred a 'regular' gay bar where I could have some tasty cocktails and watch some cute guys :slight_smile:

17. Invidia

Invidia Guest

Far above the clouds, gazing deep below the Earth
    [YOUTUBE]-XNFokmDKrE[/YOUTUBE]

18. Jerad1234

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Unfortunately, I'm not in Madison or Milwaukee. Instead, I'm in a small town two hours from the twin cities 2.5 hours from Madison and 4 hours from Milwaukee. But, thanks for the links. Maybe there will be something there.