1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

God

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by silverdeer, Feb 16, 2016.

1. silverdeer

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Someone said

"Homosexuality is clearly condemned by the Bible. It goes against the created order of God. He created Adam and then made a woman. This is what God has ordained and it is what is right. Unlike other sins, homosexuality has a severe judgment administered by God Himself. This judgment is simple: They are given over to their passions. That means that their hearts are allowed to be hardened by their sins (Romans 1:18ff). As a result, they can no longer see the error of what they are doing. Without an awareness of their sinfulness, there will be no repentance and trusting in Jesus. Without Jesus, they will have no forgiveness. Without forgiveness, there is no salvation. "

Also I have read some of the bible verses.

Can someone help me? I feel as if god hates me and it is making me very stressed.

:icon_sad: :help:

Edit:

"1 Cor. 6:9-10, "Or do you not know that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived; neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor homosexuals, 10nor thieves, nor the covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers, shall inherit the kingdom of God."

Also isn't there a part where he destroys a city because it was filled with homosexuals..

#1 silverdeer, Feb 16, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2016
  2. bingostring

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    have you see this talk?

[YOUTUBE]ezQjNJUSraY[/YOUTUBE]

3. silverdeer

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Im part way through watching but it is hard for me to grasp details in speechs quite often, could you possibly summarize it?

4. silverdeer

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Just finished watching it, thanks for the share :slight_smile:

5. Euler

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Personally, I find the whole concept of God ridiculous but I appreciate you might feel otherwise. Perhaps looking at the issue from a different perspective might help. Yes, God is not very positive towards gays if you consult the Bible but then again does it matter? Jesus and St. Paul were OK with slavery on Earth. Should you take a book that condones slavery very seriously?

6. silverdeer

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I am only 13 and have been growing up in a christian family. I still have yet to decide what my beliefs are.

But I asked this anyways.

7. Hint

Most christians don't interpret the Bible the way the Bible itself tells you to interpret the Bible.
    I mean. it's generally agreed by most 'religious' Cathlics/Protestants/Methodists/Baptists/Lutherans/Mormons/... etc. etc etc. that the Bible's teachings are wayyy out of date.
    It's why we even have preachers, pastors and ministers-- their job is to explain to us how to relate the religious teachings of old to our present-age daily life.
    I will ask you to ask yourself these two questions, in sequence:

Am I Gay? e.g. is that really what I am, regardless of whether it's 'right' or not?
    and secondly, am I okay with the idea of a God (and his flock of followers) that isn't okay with Gay people simply for being around?

There are many Gay Christians who are still devout as Christians, hell a lot of people think Science and Religion have some sort of inherent contradiction to one another, and there are plenty of devout Christians who are practicing Scientists.
    It's okay to follow your Christian Religion and still not share in the antihomosexual aspects of it at the same time.

8. silverdeer

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Alright thank you

9. alonsy alonso

I would just like to say god created eve as a clone of adam who was a male which means she was too but identified as a female the same way jesis was born with only y chromosomes but lived as a male and god still loved them and accepted them. If he can accept them i am sure he can accept homosexuals and the part of the bible that says "a man shall not lie with a man as he shall a woman" refers to not treating them as a woman and degrading them as second class systems, not sex. God did not hate homosexuals people just interpret the bible to say he did. :slight_smile:

10. silverdeer

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Okay thanks :slight_smile:

11. 10chaz1926

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I go to a Catholic high school, however I am also respectfully open about my sexuality. Despite that, I've never experienced any homophobic comments directed towards me. When we are taught about homosexuality, we are taught a collection of different view points particular devisions of the church have. For example, Evangelical Protestants are completely against it and believe as you pointed we are going to hell. However there are also liberal Christians who take a relaxed approach and believe that it is NOT a sin, but like practicing religion, it should be done in private and not fully showcased.

I do believe in God, but I take from the bible my own interpretation.

#11 10chaz1926, Feb 17, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2016
  12. Elli

I remember kind of a discussion on EC about Christians and them accepting gays etc.
    I'm Christian, technically, but I don't believe everything that is said in the bible, there have been so many weird Christian pastors over the past 2000 years and they may or may not have changed Christianity in a (imo) bad way; The bible has sooo many contradictions in it, and what I remember most from all the religion classes I took when I was younger and in grade school is that the most important part about God is that he loves his children. And that's us.
    He MADE us, he is the most loving and forgiving being that could exist. He forgave the people that killed his son and let them go to heaven - so why would he judge one of his children because of love?
    That's just what I believe, but then again I might not be the ideal picture of a Chrstian :grin:

I hope it helped you though. Don't stress over it too much. It's all about love, he's our father and he loves every single one of his children.

13. Elli

I remember kind of a discussion on EC about Christians and them accepting gays etc.
    I'm Christian, technically, but I don't believe everything that is said in the bible, there have been so many weird Christian pastors over the past 2000 years and they may or may not have changed Christianity in a (imo) bad way; The bible has sooo many contradictions in it, and what I remember most from all the religion classes I took when I was younger and in grade school is that the most important part about God is that he loves his children. And that's us.
    He MADE us, he is the most loving and forgiving being that could exist. He forgave the people that killed his son and let them go to heaven - so why would he judge one of his children because of love?
    That's just what I believe, but then again I might not be the ideal picture of a Chrstian :grin:

I hope it helped you though. Don't stress over it too much. It's all about love, he's our father and he loves every single one of his children.

14. silverdeer

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Thanks, all of you have helped me be less stressed :slight_smile:

15. Willa

The city of Sodom was not destroyed because the men living there were bisexual (people say they were gay, but they slept with women and men). Sodom was destroyed by the hand of God because the men there tried to rape three of the Lord's angels. And they raped Lot's daughters. And pretty much anyone else they felt like violating. Sodom was full of rapists. That's why it was destroyed.

Now let's look at the Old Testament laws against anal sex. They were listed alongside laws against eating shellfish and pork, or wearing mixed fabrics. In Pre-Christian times (which are the times we are looking at, because the Old Testament is Jewish text written well before the birth of Christ), we did not have advanced methods of food preparation and preservation like we do now. When people ate shellfish or pork, they got sick. But in a society with no sense of diagnostic medicine, people believed that the sickness was a curse, even though it was really just food poisoning. So they concluded that God did not want them to eat these foods.

The same thing happened with anal sex (when performed homosexually or heterosexually). People noticed that, because condoms did not exist yet, anal sex was making people sick and spreading infection. So they concluded that God did not want them to have it. We are also talking about a society that placed great emphasis on procreation. Everyone was expected to have children, and sex between a man and a woman was the only way to make that happen. Now, there are seven billion people on the planet, and the orphanages are full. Making more babies is not exactly a priority for our species.

Now, we have better ways to prepare and store food, so we can eat shrimp and pork without getting sick. We also have better ways to have safe sex, so we can engage in anal sex without getting sick. These laws have been made obsolete by modern technology.

It's worth noting again that the Old Testament is Jewish text. The law written therein is the law of the Israelites, sons of Abraham, the Jews. The Old Testament is a branch of Torah, the holy book of Judaism. Look at it this way: It is not the Old Testament and then the New Testament. It is the Torah and then the Bible.

In the Old Testament, which is the Christian Bible, Jesus says to his followers that his life and his teachings are the new law, that the Old Testament law is dead. Christians are explicitly told by Jesus Christ to stop following the laws of the Old Testament and to follow his words instead.

So from that point on, you have to decide if you are a Christian or a Jew. If you want to continue to follow old law, you're a Jew. If you dismiss the old law to follow Christ, you are a Christian.

Okay, so you're a Christian. Which means you follow the words of Christ written in the New Testament. Guess what? Jesus never said anything about homosexuality. Not one word.

16. silverdeer

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Thanks for posting this :slight_smile:

17. bingostring

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    sorry i forgot that video is a bit intense and quite loooooong!!

but it shows you that there is another way of looking at the bible and modern interpretation can be less troubling

there are many Christians on EC (not me though!) and you will find useful discussions to be had on here

18. sunshine360

sunshine360 Guest

Just because God made Adam and Eve doesn't mean he condemns homosexuality. God made Adam and Eve male and female so the world could become populated, so the "God made Adam and Eve not Adam and Steve" argument really falls flat real quick.

Also, the Bible DOES consider homosexuality an abomination but that's probably because it WAS an abomination under cultural law, along with wearing fabrics and eating shellfish. That doesn't necessarily mean God himself is against it.

The fact is that you are going to receive differing opinions and interpretations. The only way to know how God truly feels is to seek him out for yourself. I've learned over the years that you can't rely completely on what other people tell you.

#18 sunshine360, Feb 17, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 17, 2016
  19. silverdeer

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Well I think god wouldn't hate us for loving someone and all I can do is hope he is ok with it :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

20. Jerad1234

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Jesus loves you, and he died for you. The Bible is totally relevant and followed by all Christians. The question at hand is how it's read. If you're a biblical literalist, you could easily believe that homosexuals are condemned (if you are willing to qualify the salvation of Christ)...many believe the writers of the Biblical stories of God were inspired by God to present a deeper meaning. Believe me...the deeper meaning will enfranchise you in the love of the lord!!

---------- Post added 17th Feb 2016 at 06:22 PM ----------

Also, a lot of the bible refers to the way that gay sex was occurring. Being gay and pursuing one's homosexuality in a way that honors God is a lot different than sodomizing your boy slaves.