1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Friend's wedding-Sticky stituation

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by questions1, Feb 16, 2016.

1. questions1

Heres the situation. One of my best friends is a lesbian. And she's getting married. I wasn't expecting to be asked to be her maid of honor. It was a complete shock. I would absolutely love to do so. It was a complete honor for her to ask me.
    However. I work at a Bible Camp. I honestly don't think that I will be able to go and support her without risk of losing my job. What in the world do I do?
    I'm planning on talking to my boss in the morning.
    I've worked here for roughly three years. I know the camp's stance on homosexuality. My boss doesn't know that I am also heavily questioning my orientation.
    I need to reply to my friend in the morning/by lunch time max. She asked me by text.

2. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Do you have to give your superiors details? Just say you are going to your friend's wedding. You might not have to say it's to another girl.

3. Distant Echo

As above. You are maid of honour at a wedding. It's none of his business as to the details and you are not breaking any law by attending.

4. Euler

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    If there is little chance that your employer finds out about it, then there is no problem. You are under no obligation to tell them what you do on your free time.

If there is a chance that they could find out, you could point out to them at that point that you were not aware that you are prohibited from attending weddings without pre-approval while working for them. It's God's job to judge, not yours.

5. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Why does your job need to know?

6. Aspen

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's none of your employer's business what you're doing on your time. If you need time off to attend the wedding, ask for it. You don't owe them an explanation of what you'll be doing with your time off but if they demand it just say that it's a personal matter or you're maid of honor at a friend's wedding.

7. heandsheisme

Amen. Your boss is not obligated to know anything other than that you are the maid of honor at a friend's wedding.