1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My Friends Won't Talk to Me and I Don't Know Why

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Plattyrex, Feb 20, 2016.

1. Plattyrex

My friends are super mad at me and they won't tell me why. I don't even go to the same school as them anymore and they stopped replying to me when I text them so I have no means of communication with them now. I have been going to my new school for about a month or so and I've already completely destroyed my social life, so I can't make new friends. I find this to be problematic because my old friends treat me like complete garbage, but I just let them because I'm an idiot. I just need some sort of friends, and I am too shy and awkward to make any new ones. They just won't communicate with me yet they seem to be completely fine with being super good friends with someone who literally made me try to kill myself. They are super mean to me all the time and they really aren't good friends at all, but at the same time I don't have any sort of a social life without them and we've been friends for so long that I can't help but feel really emotionally attached to them. I know I shouldn't be friends with people who treat me so poorly, but if I don't than I don't know what to do.

2. Really

Oh, man, Plattyrex, I'm so sorry you're having such a crappy time.

I wonder if you should take a break from your old friends and see what you can do to meet some new people. Are there any clubs or societies at your new school that might interest you? Chess, computing, drama, anything. I'd say pick one, go to the staff sponsor and ask about meeting times and the sort of things they do. It could help if they already know you're interested and coming to the next meeting. Maybe they can introduce you to one or more of the other students and this could be a way to start making friends one person at a time.

There isn't a GSA, is there? I know you're not out but you can still make friends with the others as an ally.

I know you don't want to give up on your friends but you deserve so much better. There are nice people out there and you will meet them. You are so close to graduating and then, ooh boy, you are going to meet a whole new batch of people. If you can make one or two friends in school, that's all you need.

Please, please, give yourself a chance to meet those other great kids you have yet to be introduced to.

3. Plattyrex

Hi, thank you for your advice. I unfortunately switched districts while I was very sad about everything. Because of this the first month or so revolved mainly around me throwing a non stop hissy fit that probably turned most people away from the idea of wanting to be my friend. I have people who are nice to me, but they kind of treat me like a baby and don't really show much interest in actually befriending me on any deeper level. I don't talk much and I'm a bit too shy to involve myself in any after school activities, although I may have to force myself to do that if I can't figure anything else out. I really don't have much of any social skills, so most of my ability to meet people relies on a third party intervening and introducing me to someone. I guess I could see if my mom could set me up with something, that way I wouldn't have to initiate too much on my own. My therapist tells me that I'm too reliant on my mom and that it's part of the reason for my constant anxiety, but I just feel more comfortable doing things this way. I'm sad about my old friends and if I'm being entirely honest I ope they'll take me back into their group, but I know they don't treat me right. I'm much too attached to break off my friendship with them, so maybe it's for the best that they do it on their own. I always get this naive sense that they do care about me and just don't know how to go about treating me, but it's not the case. They are well aware of how emotionally fragile and sensitive I am, yet they pay no mind to the fact that I just literally tried to kill myself and act like I'm being a drama queen for getting upset over being physically and sexually assaulted constantly for months on end. I'm not too stupid to realize it's a toxic relationship, but I am too stupid to do anything about it. Regardless, I appreciate your advice and might try to get involved in some sort of group activity as you suggested. Thanks:slight_smile:

4. Helion Solaris

The relationship is toxic. Definitely. Try to distance yourself from them. If getting your mom to help is the only way so be it, but still try to do it on your own. Go to places that you like and try to strike up a conversation with someone there. You might meet someone with the same interests as you and that's a pretty good basis for a friendship to evolve. Since you're on here try to speak to as many people you think can help. Try and join a GSA they can really help. I'm sure they'll help you keep your secret :slight_smile: And remember to read your signature too(*hug*)

5. Really

I understand about wanting an introduction. That's why I wondered about approaching the club sponsor first. If you're uneasy about doing that, try to think of it just as a fact finding mission. When do they meet, how often, what do they do, how many in the group...

There have to be some nice teachers here so you don't need to ask your mom at the moment. Maybe break it down so it's more manageable. First find the list of clubs. Second get the sponsor's name for a few of them. Go see one of these teachers and interview them about the club. In a few days or the next week, find another and do the same.

I would even suggest picking one you don't know anything about. You never know, those might be the nicest people and you could find something great to get involved in.

6. Plattyrex

One of my friends just texted me. They're open to 'forgive' me, but only if I apologize for the second time on their behalf to someone who made me try to kill myself. I still don't know what I did wrong or why I'm apologizing, but I don't even care anymore. I know I shouldn't apologize, but I don't have much self respect left at this point so I might. I don't even know anymore.

7. Really

This is extremely strange. Why do they want you to apologize? Ask them who they think was the injured party in all this. Do they really think you're the type to cause others pain and suffering?

Have you ever stood up to them? You might not feel you can but I'll bet you might finally get some respect from these cretins. I'm sorry but they really sound like they haven't got a clue.

Take a stand and tell them "No". You will not apologize and further, you're tired of their shitty treatment.