1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What If I want to Organize a Pride Parade?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by CapQuestionmark, Feb 21, 2016.

1. CapQuestionmark

Now, I'm sure this will take a lot of planning and support if this dream were ever to become a reality, but I was just wondering what other people would advise to be the course of action for such a feat.

Now, in my particular situation, I'm in a small town in the Southern part of the United States, but I know many queer youths in my school system and, with our large military presence here, I'm sure there's bound to be supporters there.
    Off the top of my head, the first action I would take is support via signatures or such, perhaps even small donations if people would like. In this way, we would have some hard evidence to back us up in our movement to speak some sort of higher official with whom I'm sure we would have to gain permission to organize en mass.

But, I would love to hear other's opinions, thoughts, and even experiences if you have organized something like this before. I am very young myself, and would certainly have many older people aiding me with this, if anyone would need to take that into consideration.

2. smurf

Love your passion to get involved.

First things first, attend and volunteer other LGBT pride parades around your area. Travel to them if they are far away. While you volunteer, make sure to get the contact information for the people putting on the parade. Mention that you would love to meet with them to talk about your project.

The only way to pull a parade off is to get a lot of people involved, so you first have to start getting people together for small meetings. For coffee and the like. You have to create or find the community before you get a parade started.

All that being said, there are a couple of things you have to keep in mind if you want to pursue this. One, you are young so you will get dismissed fairly quickly. You HAVE to counterattack this by having very strong passion and strong plan. You have to show other people why they shouldn't look you over even though you are 15. This means study how other parades are formed, talk to people, learn about grassroots organizing, and be prepare to answer tough questions.

If you do this, you also have to be okay with being openly out. There is just no way around that.

Most importantly, have fun with the people you meet and keep in mind the reason why you want the parade in the first place. If the reason isn't there, this project will be pointless and you will get lost in the process.