1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mental doctors? How to get an appointment and find someone soon?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by loveislove01, Feb 27, 2016.

1. loveislove01

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My depression has gotten a lot worse since two months ago. And now it is majorly interfering with normal daily activities, even things I love doing such as music and art.
    I feel like I'm giving my all right now, but what I'm getting is barely half of what I'd be able to do effortlessly in a normal state of mind.
    I'm anxious all the time, almost unable to function, and occasionally thinking suicidal (thought no plan of action)
    I need help.
    So...how to find someone an hour/less away and get an appointment within this week?

2. bingostring

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Not really sure how the system works in the USA. I guess if you are 14 you need your parents to be involved. And things like insurance if you have it.

Hopefully you can get someone near. And your normal doctor can give you advice on who is suitable/available.

3. Really

I think the quickest way would be to call a Help Line. If you can't find one, message one of the moderators here and they'll point you in the right direction.

4. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Help lines in the US won't be able to actually do much to refer you to treatment.

Your post indicates you're 14, so the first step is to talk to your parents, or, if they are unreceptive, to your guidance counselor at school. You will probably need to work with both a therapist and a psychiatrist. The psychiatrist is the one to prescribe medication, but the therapist is the one to actually help you work on the issues causing the anxiety and/or depression.

5. Really

Just to clarify. I didn't mean to suggest a Help Line could make referrals. I just thought they could be someone to talk to sooner than getting in to see anyone.

6. loveislove01

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I told my mom this Saturday, and she has a friend who is a psychiatrist. Due to the social connection, I won't be seeing her, but she referred us to some people and due to how I can't even get up for school these days, we got an appointment urgently and I'm going in four hours.

7. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That's great news. Please keep us informed.

8. Mitchell

Hello,

I am assuming that you have medical insurance when I state this...

On the back of your insurance card is / should be a phone number. If you call this number they can assist you. From my understanding, a lot of insurance companies classify it as "behavioral health". For mine, and a great number of them, they can provide you with a directory of providers that will take your insurance... as well as in occasion find the right fit for you.

Good luck.