1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do I have Social anxiety disorder or Selective Mutism? Or both?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Im queer2bclear, Feb 28, 2016.

1. Im queer2bclear

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So ever since 2013 or 2014 I have had a lot of issues trying to talk to people. Mostly around people I don't know well, people who are really talkative, and even around my friends talking about personal stuff... I have basically been stuck to writing when I'm in those situations... Those situations give me a lot of anxiety. I can't seem to talk but I can write or text just fine... Ever since I can remember I've been called 'shy' and 'quiet' by basically everyone but I don't think that's the case anymore... :help:

2. NathanielB13

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hello! One of my friends has social anxiety but she doesn't act like this however social anxiety is differant to everyone.But I have noticed she does have problems talking infront of the class and doesn't talk about herself alot. If it's stressing you out or causing you to panic in these situations then it might be best to see a doctor about it perhaps with a family member? Doctors can help alot about diagnosing mental health and helping you treat/cope with it just like any physical injury!Theres no need to worry about seeing them.

Nat

3. panlove0705

(!)As someone who struggles with Anxiety and panic disorder myself, I can understand the frustration and feelings of hopelessness. I can tell you the best thing I ever did was get help. Now I'm very outgoing and can function as a happy, healthy human being. I would encourage you to see someone to help you through it. They may put you on medication for a while, but ultimately it's therapy that helped me get through it by learning new coping mechanisms based on past traumatic experiences. Of course, therapy and solutions are different for everyone. I wish you the best and I hope you find the peace of mind you seek!

4. Im queer2bclear

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    P.s. I'm already going to a counselor and they've given me medication for depression.

5. Monraffe

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There have been some interesting studies recently on the subject of social pain that indicate it has a very similar mental reaction to hunger pain. This is a very important finding because it shows just how essential it is that we establish meaningful relationships with one another. Being alone is (or was) nothing short of life threatening. It all goes back to when we were living in small tribes at the beginning of our species. We simply could not survive alone in the world at that time. This not only meant finding people to get along with, it also meant avoiding people who shun us and threaten to make us outcasts. Being around people who disapprove of us was a very dangerous thing back then. So dangerous in fact, it caused us to have a flight reaction that forced us to avoid contact with these people at all costs. It is that very instinct that is the source of your problems today. You are caught in an unfortunate spiral of negative consequences. Other people notice your social anxiety but interpret it incorrectly. They only sense that you want to avoid them for some reason and their flight response kicks in and they show signs that they want to avoid you too. You interpret their response as rejection and try to avoid them even more and the whole thing manifests itself in a lot of loneliness and social pain for you.

The solution to overcoming these fears is to realize that the consequences of an awkward conversation are not nearly as dire as you think. But my saying this won't make it real to you. You have to be shown it through your own experience and that means going out there and making a complete ass of yourself, over an over again. It's not hard to do, especially if you aren't skilled at socializing. But you will survive it and in the end you will overcome your anxiety. Learn to laugh at yourself for the mistakes you make, that will make the pain pass a lot easier. Don't take dislike of you as a sign that you cannot be liked. Your enemies are your best critics. Learn from them and improve.

6. cibi

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    what meds are you on ?

7. Im queer2bclear

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Prozac. Personally it doesn't help with my anxiety at all.