1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

someone called me a pussy for having PTSD

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by rarity von 666, Mar 1, 2016.

1. rarity von 666

This happened yesterday, i was talking to my so called friend about my condition and how i got it when my mother was beaten. He called me a pussy for being traumatized over that. I stopped being friends with him. What now?:help:

#1 rarity von 666, Mar 1, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2016
  2. Benway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I see no reason to associate yourself with him further. I suffer from C-PTSD and anything can cause it to flare up and I'll find myself crying in a corner. You're definitely not a "pussy" for having PTSD, PTSD is a sign of strength that you survived an ordeal that was so traumatizing it had a long-lasting impact on you. Don't ever let anyone tell you that having PTSD makes you weak. You're a survivor, not a "pussy."

3. Euler

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Try to see these kinds of comments in the proper context. People who say such things typically do not understand how psychological trauma and distress develop. It says very little about you but much more about the person who said it. If a person is raised in bad conditions things that would not cause trauma in a typical person could cause severe trauma for that person.

Just out of curiosity, did you try to explain the other person how their comments made you feel? I hear a lot of comments here where people severe connections to their friends who say something ignorant or insensitive. I mean that is fine especially if the said friend is not a very close anyways. However, I always first try to make the other person see my point of view before severing ties.

4. Ever heard of projection? Mind if I ask if this person is someone that you see strong and respect? Whenever I hear mean comments, I try to look at the person making it. Often, that person has the same trait that theyre calling you. Maybe that person has their own issues and aren't self-aware to make a diagnosis or seek help. Maybe they felt threatened somehow when you had the ability to be open.

If this person continues to make mean comments, they aren't best for your mental health.

5. Jellal

You get PTSD from being through hard shit. People who don't have it can't imagine what it's like and their words are less than worthless.

Which is why I'm gonna shut up now.

6. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Pretty much this. Everyone thinks they're a badass until things get real. Generally, the people with the loudest mouths are the first to crumble under the pressure.

7. I agree. People that brag about how tough and hard they are really don't walk their walk.

8. rarity von 666

Thanks guys, you're all awesome and i care less about what that asshole thinks. He has no right to insult me like that or being my "friend"(!)

9. There's a huge difference on ptsd when you're no longer around negative people.