1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Minor depression?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Methrandir, Mar 1, 2016.

1. Methrandir

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Ok I know you shouldnt self diagnose but i dont want to see a professional unless its absolutely necessary........ I am always having these horrible thoughts theyre not suicidal but they make me feel so small sometimes and they make it hard to breathe. Some days I can only push these thoughts away for a few seconds and they are just draining and every time I talk to people I feel like Im putting on a mask. Where do I go from here? BTW I am reallyreallyreally not comfortable with anything unnatural like antidepressants.:confused:

2. loveislove01

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That's not exactly minor. It seems moderate, at least. If you don't want medication, you could try therapy, creative activities, going outside and exercising (increase in happy hormones)
    And monitor how you're feeling, just to make sure it doesn't get worse.

I also used to be very anti-medication, so if it helps you could look up herbal remedies, homeopathic, or Ayurvedic medicine.

Can you explain more about your situation?

3. Methrandir

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I also play alot of rugby, about 4x a week, and do running.

---------- Post added 2nd Mar 2016 at 12:12 AM ----------

I also play alot of rugby, about 4x a week, and do running.

4. Euler

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    This sounds more like anxiety than depression though you were awfully vague about it.

The thing with meds is that they can help but ultimately they should be just a temporary help, not something you use permanently (unless your problem is neurological). For example in depression the meds could be used to improve the situation in the short term but therapy is likely to be the only long term solution.

You are 14 so you are still in school. You should go an talk to your school psychologist. I know it may feel scary but trust me you will feel much better after it.

5. Invidia

Invidia Guest

Far above the clouds, gazing deep below the Earth
    Monitoring your feelings is a good idea. You don't have to write anything if you don't want to, but keeping track in general in your head can be helpful.

I don't know anything about herbal remedies or Ayurvedic medicine, but as far as I've heard homeopathy has been debunked pretty much entirely as being no more effective than a placebo (which might be effective but still).

---------- Post added 2nd Mar 2016 at 05:11 PM ----------

Talking to a counselor is indeed a good idea in general. Your feelings might need air, yo might have something nagging at you that's bumming you down. It can be hard to find the root of the problem, and subsequently a proper help to your problem, without any help.